First Headstock Logo

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Eric Knapp

First Headstock Logo

Post by Eric Knapp »

Hello,

Here's my first attempt at making a headstock logo/emblem/badge, or whatever they're called. The wood is ebony, the inlay is Tagua nut, one of my favorite materials.
ejk - 1.jpeg

If you use magnification and good lighting you can see all the flaws. If that's what it takes then I'm calling this a good first effort.
ejk - 2.jpeg

I'm going with this design for a few guitars to see what I think of it. Getting a design that all the design-savvy people in my house didn't think sucked was a challenge. 8-)

-Eric
Barry Daniels

Re: First Headstock Logo

Post by Barry Daniels »

Looks pretty good. One way to clean up the edges of the inlay after sawing it out is to use a set of needle files. Also, practice removing less wood and getting a tighter fit. What did you color your glue with?
MIMF Staff
Eric Knapp

Post by Eric Knapp »

Barry Daniels wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:19 pm Looks pretty good. One way to clean up the edges of the inlay after sawing it out is to use a set of needle files. Also, practice removing less wood and getting a tighter fit. What did you color your glue with?
I got new set of diamond needle files but didn't spend enough time with them. That's first on the list for next time. I will practice a lot more getting a tighter fit. As happens a lot, my practice runs were better. Oh, well.

For color I packed the gaps with ebony dust and used thin CA glue. After sanding it back flush I packed any remaining small holes and used more CA. That part seemed to work well with ebony. I'll need to get better cutting the channel for lighter woods.

Thanks,

-Eric
Dick Hutchings

Post by Dick Hutchings »

All I have to say is, I love your design.
Dick Hutchings
Eric Knapp

Post by Eric Knapp »

Dick Hutchings wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:09 am All I have to say is, I love your design.
Thank you.

-Eric
Karl Wicklund

Post by Karl Wicklund »

I enjoy watching your progress here. Nice job!
Kaptain Karl
Eric Knapp

Post by Eric Knapp »

Karl Wicklund wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:21 am I enjoy watching your progress here. Nice job!
Thank you, Karl. I hope to keep progressing as long as I'm able.

-Eric

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”