Stew Mac already body built kit? Thinking of ideas for neighbors' kids

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Matthew Lau

Stew Mac already body built kit? Thinking of ideas for neighbors' kids

Post by Matthew Lau »

Dear MIMF,

I've been trying to think as a dad, instead of as a single guy.

I've been thinking of of getting some of my neighbors' kids involved in guitar building.
TBH, I'm not sure how I'd justify things...but was thinking of trying to find something simple, satisfying, and doesn't need much tools/time.

What do you think of the Stewmac kits with the body built already?
They're cheaper than the cost of materials, and look too good to be true.

If it's actually decent, I wonder if it's something I can work on with the neighbor kids to create their first guitar.
Carl Dickinson

Re: Stew Mac already body built kit? Thinking of ideas for neighbors' kids

Post by Carl Dickinson »

Check out Grizzly for some kits too, guitar and uke. LOTS cheaper than StewMac. Here's an example, https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzl ... kit/t33952, and https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzl ... kit/t33949. A little glue and TruOil or Osmo and you're done.
Jim McConkey

Post by Jim McConkey »

For kids, I would even suggest starting much simpler, along the lines of a cigar box guitar. All you need is a stick for the neck, and some kind of box, be it a wooden cigar box, large metal can, cookie tin, old mailbox, or whatever. Used tied frets, and the tuners can be as simple as a screweye in the end. Start with even one string. Super simple, very cheap, and a lot of fun. The only "tricky" part that may require adult help is attaching the neck and box.
MIMForum Staff - Way North of Baltimore
Matthew Lau

Post by Matthew Lau »

Thanks for the tips!
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

stick dulcimer.jpg
Stick dulcimers might be another possibility. I build them with Formica back and sides, "A" grade spruce that doesn't pass the runout test or western red cedar from the lumber yard, walnut (or other hardwood) necks with the frets pressed into the neck (no separate fingerboard) and cheap tuners. Cost of materials, including strings - about $17

* - Because the bridge is a "floating bridge" (not glued on) runout is less critical so more can be tolerated.

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”