Cutting carbon fiber rods

Ask your wood and other materials questions here. Please DO NOT post pictures and ask us to identify your wood, we have found that accurate ID is nearly impossible, and such discussions will be deleted. Thanks.
Fernando Esteves

Cutting carbon fiber rods

Post by Fernando Esteves »

Hello!
I've some carbon fiber rods that I would like to mak thinner and narrower.
I know power tools goes dull in it and I just discovered laser won't cut it neighter...

Is there anyway to do it?
Thanks
Amateur luthier from Brazil.
I'm here to learn!!!
Barry Daniels

Re: Cutting carbon fiber rods

Post by Barry Daniels »

Not really. A Dremel abrasive cutoff wheel can be used for cutting across the bar when shortening it, but I would NEVER try to cut it lengthwise. Just buy the size bar you need.
MIMF Staff
Alan Carruth

Re: Cutting carbon fiber rods

Post by Alan Carruth »

You can grind, sand, drill, and tap carbon rods, and cut them with a jeweler's saw, or (surprise!) a knife, but that's about it. They are not kind to any cutting tool, in any event. Do not try to run one through a power saw, joiner, or planer. If you need a custom size you could try making one using CF tow (loose fibers) available at hobby shops that cater to model airplane makers. It should be possible to get 'pre-preg': carbon fiber tape that has been pre-wetted with the right amount of heat cure epoxy; that's how most of the CF rods you get are made. Home-built aircraft folks use it (try Aircraft Spruce and Specialty), and you may also find it in model and hobby supply places. You'll need to rig a form of some sort to build up the tape and hold it while it's curing.

Return to “Wood and Materials Q&A”