First guitar build - something a little different.

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Nick Kitchener

Re: First guitar build - something a little different.

Post by Nick Kitchener »

Let the body carving begin!

Still have a way to go but starting off..
IMG_2205.jpeg
IMG_2204.jpeg
Nick Kitchener

Post by Nick Kitchener »

Update, I've reapplied the danish oil - I'll let this harden and then use it to prevent any flame chip out during sanding.
IMG_2234.jpg
Nick Kitchener

Post by Nick Kitchener »

So there's some issues - neck-string angle, I recessed the jack the wrong way to the way the upwards facing jack is meant to sit so that needs sorting. And the nut + frets need sorting but I miss playing it so here it is for a bit..
IMG_2273.jpg
Nick Kitchener

Post by Nick Kitchener »

So I've repeatedly intonated, corrected, measured the fretboard frequencies against my calculated frequencies - apart from a couple of lifting frets which I'll ignore for now - the intonation error for a fret for any string is at maximum 0.28%. I think that will do for now :D

Here's some ambient noodling through the NeuralDSP Abasi plugin:
https://youtu.be/kkg5md_L9FU
Nick Kitchener

Post by Nick Kitchener »

Just to add to this as a follow up.

The guitar has been with me to France the bespoke travel case I made for it. During that trip I modified the opensource ZenTuner Mac programme to use my mini-fuse 1 and to use a higher 24bit 176kHz rate. It's now a super fast and accurate tuner that provides a very fast response time and detecting the note and shows the frequency down to 0.01 Hz (although that is probably not accurate it's certainly good enough for tuning a guitar). The nice thing about this tuner is that it will tune down to low frequencies of drop tuning. I may enhance that and upload the changes to GitHub but I don't have time to support it or make it more configurable.

I've been side tracked with DIY (paving, tiling etc) and also I've built a little JCM800 2W companion (Rob Robinette based) that will be housed in a combo with a celestial g12m-65. Good enough for my playing and room size.

It's still my go-to guitar, the JCM has shown the neck pick up has some great bluesy tones over 12th fret even for a baratone. Bridge has all the old school sounds I'll record something once that in it's combo and broken in.

I decided to let it settle in and it seems to be holding it's tuning for weeks with changes in humidity and temperatures, the next step there is to arrange a session on a local lutherie course for frets.

I have some wood still and some of neck laminate, and a Partscaster may be on the books as a next build.. that will be a different thread :D

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”