LP style neck tenon

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Charles Savage

LP style neck tenon

Post by Charles Savage »

Am getting ready to cut out the neck tenon in the body but a critical question is still nagging me. The S-M plans show to leave a slight protution of the neck past the fingerboard which is also flush at the bottom of the fingerboard. Another area on the plans show evidence that there would appear to be a gap of uncut material at the top of the body from the binding at the end of the fretboard and the neck pickup cavity.
Am I to understand that the tenon gets routed through the body into the neck pickup cavity and that any evidence of the protrusion is to be simply covered by the pickup cover?

I've seen LP bodies that are cut with a gap left at the top, and others that are through into the neck pickup cavity.

I would share pictures but they are too large and I do not know how to get them down far enough.
Freeman Keller

Re: LP style neck tenon

Post by Freeman Keller »

Pictures would help a lot. What I do is open the jpeg with MS Paint, click on the option to resize. For my photos 25 percent is about right, then save it (I do it under a different name). Once resized you should be able to go to the full editor and attach it to your thread.

I've built several LP style guitars and have pictures of them but again the resizing issue means I really don't want to go thru all the effort of posting them.
Charles Savage

Post by Charles Savage »

Charles Savage wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:10 pm Am getting ready to cut out the neck tenon in the body but a critical question is still nagging me. The S-M plans show to leave a slight protution of the neck past the fingerboard which is also flush at the bottom of the fingerboard. Another area on the plans show evidence that there would appear to be a gap of uncut material at the top of the body from the binding at the end of the fretboard and the neck pickup cavity.
Am I to understand that the tenon gets routed through the body into the neck pickup cavity and that any evidence of the protrusion is to be simply covered by the pickup cover?

I've seen LP bodies that are cut with a gap left at the top, and others that are through into the neck pickup cavity.

I would share pictures but they are too large and I do not know how to get them down far enough.
Attachments
59 LP TENON ISSUE
59 LP TENON ISSUE
Freeman Keller

Post by Freeman Keller »

Mine have been like that. The pickup ring covers the little end of the neck
IMG_0720.JPG

Click on the picture and it should blow up.

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”