Cordless setup?

Questions about tools and jigs you want to buy/build/modify.
Matthew Lau

Cordless setup?

Post by Matthew Lau »

This is a weird question. Does anyone build with a cordless tool and hand tool setup?

My new garage doesn't have many power outlets, and probably shares one 120V 15 A circuit.
I'm thinking of doing the power tool stuff outdoors, and using hand tools for fine tuning things.
At my friend's workshop (where I donated my tools), I have access to heavier iron (tablesaw/jointer/drill press/router table/small belt sander).

I'm currently using a 18v Bosch drill & driver set, and a Makita 18v planer.
I also have the Bosch 12v flexiclick drill for installing stuff around the house.
I also have a Fein vac and dust deputy.

I'd love to hear your thoughts.
I was thinking of getting a cordless jigsaw for roughing profiles/templates, and a cordless circular saw for breaking down sheets.
Most of my stuff will probably still be by hand (shaping/carving/voicing).
Matthew Lau

Re: Cordless setup?

Post by Matthew Lau »

I'm thinking of the bosch 12v system.
Matthew Lau

Post by Matthew Lau »

As for fine details (cutting soundboards, etc), I was gonna just use hand tools.

Fret saw, Japanese pull saw, chisels, planes, knives, etc.
Jim McConkey

Post by Jim McConkey »

I'm not the right one to ask, since I rarely use any power tools at all for building instruments (short of occasionally a band saw and drill press). But I live on a farm, and portable battery tools are not an option out here. Too many tasks in the fields and not close to AC power! The newer generation of lithium ion batteries packs every bit as much punch as AC. I have circular, jig, and reciprocating saws, as well as the usual assortment of drills and drivers, grinders, etc., and they all work great. The brand is less important, use what is available in your area, but try to select and stick mostly to one primary system to avoid duplicating batteries. For any odd tools that are not available in your preferred system, check if there is an adapter on Amazon, Ali, etc. You can find converters these days from almost any brand of battery to any brand of tool.
MIMForum Staff - Way North of Baltimore
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

I could never get by without lots of outlets even though I have a lot of cordless tools. You need power for battery chargers too.

First thing I did when setting up shop in my garage was to install a sub-panel and lots of outlets including 240 volt for my compressor and bandsaw. The garage originally had one outlet and one light socket. More of a cave than a workshop.
MIMF Staff

Return to “Tools and Jigs”