Favorite Router?

Questions about tools and jigs you want to buy/build/modify.
Matthew Lau

Favorite Router?

Post by Matthew Lau »

Dear MIMF,

I'm probably not going to be able to buy anything fancy for a while (just closed on a house.....it's expensive!!!).

However, I'm thinking of getting a better router one of these days.

Do you have any recommendations?

-Matt
Bob Gramann

Re: Favorite Router?

Post by Bob Gramann »

The one that I have that I use the most is the Ridgid cordless. I bought extra bases so that I could leave them set up for different operations and just move the motor around. It’s a light duty router. I don’t use it for truss rod slots—it would do the job but not with enough beef to satisfy me. I use a Makita RT700 with the plunge base for saddle slots and classical peghead slots, but I’ve had the bit slip in it when using it to cut truss rod slots. So, I got a Dewalt 611 with the plunge base. It’s a great router. But, the plunge base doesn’t descend enough to easily do the classical pegheads. For the big stuff like pickup cavities and furniture work, I have a Bosch 1617EVS (with a plunge base). I looked carefully at the other big routers (those with a half inch collet) and the Bosch seemed the best to me. I don’t think I could get by with just one router, but if I could only have two, they would be the Ridgid cordless laminate trimmer and the Bosch 1617EVS. I wish the Ridgid had a plunge base. For the little plunge router, I would love the Makita if the bit hadn’t slipped on me a few times. I have the Ridgid corded laminate trimmer. It’s good for little stuff, but it’s not very powerful. Good luck in your quest.
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

For an all around type router I like the Porter Cable 690. It takes both 1/2 inch and 1/4 inch collets, can use either a fixed or plunge base, and is reasonably powerful but not too large or heavy. You can still find them (and accessories) on the used market.
My favorite small router is the Rockwell 64 (a.k.a. PC309 - newer model) which can sometimes be found as a 50+year old N.O.S. item at estate sales or on eBay. They were marketed as a "joe homeowner" item and sometimes were put on a shelf and never used. They are in between the size of a trim router and a 1hp size and can take both a small two handled base or a trimmer base (no plunge base available). If you can find one in the $25 - $35 range and they are in good condition they are not a bad buy. I grease the bearings with lithium grease before putting them to use because of their age.
The smaller base PC version (a little too beat up?) : https://www.ebay.com/itm/225791927143?h ... R5C606j1Yg
And the older model with the two handle base (pictured)
Attachments
rock 64.jpg
Alan Carruth

Post by Alan Carruth »

The one I use the most is a Rigid R2401. It's the size of a trim router, but has more power than most, and it's quieter: about 3dB less noise by my dB meter. I got one for my binding setup, and liked it so well I bought another. I do have a big Porter-Cable that can take a 1/2" collet, but I only use that for things like hogging out radius dishes, which I only do once in a blue moon.
Jarno Verhoeven

Post by Jarno Verhoeven »

I have a Bosch POF1400ACE which is very cumbersome and large (even though it doesn't take 1/2" router bits...), so that lives in a makeshift router table. The one I used most is the Makita palm router (not battery powered), RT0700, I believe.

I wonder if anyone here tried the low cost palm routers from Vevor or others for 50USD/EUR, how bad are they?
Bob Gramann

Post by Bob Gramann »

Decades ago, I tried a Harbor Freight trimmer. The runout in the shaft was so bad that the device was useless. Shy away from the cheap routers.

Return to “Tools and Jigs”