Can This Be Fixed?

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Eric Knapp

Can This Be Fixed?

Post by Eric Knapp »

Hello,

Some glue dripped on the spruce top I'm working on and dried before I noticed. I tried to get it off without damaging the top but I failed. This is the result.

tear-out - 1.jpeg
tear-out - 2.jpeg

How would you approach this? The box is already closed and I'd rather not start over. I can see some possibilities but I am going to pause and get some input from you experienced guys. I already tried to steam it and this is all I got. It only improved it a little.

Also, how would you remove the glue spatter in the first place? I've never worked with woods this soft before starting to try to make guitars.

Thanks,

-Eric
Barry Daniels

Re: Can This Be Fixed?

Post by Barry Daniels »

Depending on the type of glue, you can remove dried glue easily with either a damp cloth or a card scraper.

Fixing that area will not be easy or result in an invisible repair. You can either fill it with something or cut out the area and patch it.

If you have some cut-offs of this top, use them to test different fillers. Glue and sawdust is recommended by a lot of folks but usually turns out much darker. I would try Durhams Rockhard Water Putty, which dries to about the color of spruce or a little lighter. If it turns out to be too light you can darken it with a bit of colored powder when you are mixing it up. A fill into spruce will always be visible, but it least you can make it level and smooth.
MIMF Staff
JC Whitney

Post by JC Whitney »

Perhaps a good opportunity to try your hand at a sunburst finish (if it's out near the perimeter)?
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

JC Whitney wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:20 pm Perhaps a good opportunity to try your hand at a sunburst finish (if it's out near the perimeter)?
+1 on the sunburst idea!. If it is not near the perimeter you could do a "black face" or painted top.
Many glues can be dissolved or softened with solvents - water, vinegar, acetone, lacquer thinner. Those that can't be can usually be scraped off. A single edge razor blade with tape "safeing" both ends can often work as a scraper.
blackface guitar.jpg

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”