Mahogany solid body, I’m looking for finishing experience guidance

TEST ON SCRAP FIRST! If your question is about repair work, either regluing or refinishing, please post it in our Repair Section.
Ellis Schweitzer

Mahogany solid body, I’m looking for finishing experience guidance

Post by Ellis Schweitzer »

I have a Mahogany solid Body T style with a maple fingerboard kit. I am exploring finishing options. I would like to keep the finish looking natural while accentuating the grain. My current thinking is to use either Danish Oil, or wipe on poly as the finish. I have several thoughts and questions. Should I initially stain the Mahogany solid Body to draw out the woodgrain? What color stain would you recommend? Would a grain filler be required? How to address the Maple Fingerboard; Should I cover the frets and treat the fingerboard? What should be used to treat the fingerboard? Would you recommend using Danish Oil, or wipe on poly for the fingerboard and the maple neck? If I choose to go with Danish Oil would you recommend using natural or a wood color oil? If the wipe on Poly; which sheen or color? I do not have access to any mahogany to test finishing on. I could possibly test on the hidden areas, or stain a small area on the back and sand to bare wood if necessary. I would appreciate your thoughts, observations, suggestions, and recommendations. Thank you
I can’t change the wind, but I can adjust my sails
JC Whitney

Re: Mahogany solid body, I’m looking for finishing experience guidance

Post by JC Whitney »

About thirty years ago I finished a scratch-built solid mahogany tele body with pure tung oil followed by buffing with beeswax. Still have and play it. Fantastic natural feel and look (to my tastes) - although not as rugged as other options. Might want to give a try on a piece of scrap if that intrigues you.

Return to “Glues and Finishes”