safety shoes for woodworkers

The place to chat with your fellow MIMForum members about whatever you want that doesn't relate to instruments, or isn't specific to one instrument family. Pull up a chair, grab a cold one out of the virtual 'fridge, and tell your friends what's on your mind.

safety shoes for woodworkers

Postby Bob Hammond » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:46 pm

Hey, my 93y/o neighbor (born in Germany) gave me a pair of shoes. They're actually pretty comfortable but best worn outdoors in the soft earth.

Pretty natty, eh?
Attachments
shoes2.jpg
Bob Hammond

Re: safety shoes for woodworkers

Postby Randy Roberts » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:54 pm

Bob,
I don't see how you are going to keep them at 40% relative humidity. And how do you sand out the scratches...a walk on the beach?
Randy Roberts

Postby David King » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:51 am

How in heck do they carve out the insides of those? Did they light a fire and do a controlled burn until they fit right?
Maybe sandpaper socks?
David King

Postby Bob Hammond » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:43 am

The shoes are quite old but show no signs of cracking. They're made from watersoaked poplar, and were hand carved inside with a spoon auger and hook knife. The outside was shaped with a block knife which operates like a papercutter. Here's a video: https://youtu.be/dt5BLJhiMO0

They're pretty comfortable but they're meant for use on softer surfaces than cement. My college roommate wore a pair of these eveywhere in the 70s. He told me that an old guy measured his foot with a stick and then just whittled away with the block knife and spoon as he watched. His shoes had a leather strip glued on the insided at the instep, which is something that I might do for these.
Bob Hammond

Postby Matthew Lau » Tue May 14, 2019 4:10 pm

The bigger question is-- how did he get so intimate with your feet?
Matthew Lau

Postby Calvin Buenavides » Tue May 14, 2019 10:57 pm

It looks cute but the question is how comfortable it is on the feet?
Calvin Buenavides

Postby Bob Hammond » Wed May 15, 2019 5:45 pm

Calvin Buenavides wrote:It looks cute but the question is how comfortable it is on the feet?

I did need to carve out the instep a little bit to fit into them, but once they're on they aren't floppy, and they aren't heavy.
Actually, they're quite comfortable standing still, or walking outside on the lawn - warm and dry. On pavement they clop along and seem too stiff.

Bob Hammond

Return to Jam Session