Repair of '74 Martin D-18

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
User avatar
Barry Daniels
Posts: 2991
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:58 am
Location: The Woodlands, Texas

Re: Repair of '74 Martin D-18

Post by Barry Daniels »

Pulled the popsicle brace and replaced it with a smaller maple plate and ready to glue the back on. The sides had moved a bit so I placed them in my enforcer jig then glued it up. I ran the body through my binding cutter to even up the ledge and took about 5 thou extra in both dimensions to get a clean edge. Sized the new binding on a MacRostie Binding Trimmer to get it exact size. Then I glued it in with Canopy Glue, which is a new (for me) glue that will allow bonding of plastic to wood using a water based glue. I am really excited to find this glue because it should help me in my search for that elusive binding replacement technique that doesn't require finish touchup.
Attachments
IMG_0379Resized.jpg
IMG_0381Resized.jpg
IMG_0383Resized.jpg
IMG_0388Resized.jpg
MIMF Staff

User avatar
Barry Daniels
Posts: 2991
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:58 am
Location: The Woodlands, Texas

Re: Repair of '74 Martin D-18

Post by Barry Daniels »

Binding replacement is turning out better than I hoped. A bit of polishing should even out the deglossing of the finish.

One interesting thing about the Canopy glue is that it sets up in about 4-5 hours so that allows a cleanup of squeeze out with a damp rag before the glue is really hard. I may go around the edge of the binding and seal it with some GluBoost to deal with a few small gaps.
Attachments
IMG_0395Resized.jpg
IMG_0394Resized.jpg
MIMF Staff

User avatar
Bob Gramann
Posts: 1070
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:08 am
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Contact:

Re: Repair of '74 Martin D-18

Post by Bob Gramann »

Looking very good. I’m glad to hear that I’m not the only one whi has to deal with binding gaps. No matter what, I always find some.

Chris Vallillo
Posts: 123
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:52 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: Repair of '74 Martin D-18

Post by Chris Vallillo »

This is the first I've heard of a PMTE brace. I assume it's to stabilize the bridge plate area. Just what is it?

User avatar
Barry Daniels
Posts: 2991
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:58 am
Location: The Woodlands, Texas

Re: Repair of '74 Martin D-18

Post by Barry Daniels »

Yes, it strengthens the bridge plate laterally to minimize the dreaded hump that ultimately developed behind the bridge. I followed Mario's design where a center laminate of epoxy graphite was placed between layers of spruce to minimize wood creep over time.
Attachments
IMG_0373Resized.jpg
MIMF Staff

User avatar
Barry Daniels
Posts: 2991
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:58 am
Location: The Woodlands, Texas

Re: Repair of '74 Martin D-18

Post by Barry Daniels »

It's kind of timely that you posted to this thread because I just finished this guitar last weekend and delivered it to my client. It turned out pretty good. The top was still ugly even after a refinish, but the tone was nothing short of amazing. One of the best I have heard, which I can only attribute to the braces getting scalloped.
MIMF Staff

Clay Schaeffer
Posts: 1638
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:04 pm

Re: Repair of '74 Martin D-18

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

Fine looking job - your usual great work!
I like that jig you made to align the sides and back. I will have to copy it.

Post Reply

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”