simple veneer type rosette making

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Clay Schaeffer

simple veneer type rosette making

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

Here is one way to make a veneer style rosette that is popular with some makers.
After you find a suitable piece of veneer you lightly tack it down to a piece of scrap with spray contact glue. I like to use the cheap craft type spray glue because it doesn't create as strong a bond as the better glues.
The next thing I do is find a router bit that will make a groove to take the string purfling that will border the veneer. The bit I chose will allow me to fill the groove with two pieces of purfling. I set the router in the home made circle cutting jig and rout the top and without changing the settings the outer edge of the veneer. I then change the settings to rout the inner edge of the veneer and the inner purfling groove.
Attachments
smpl rose 1.jpg
smpl rose 2.jpg
Clay Schaeffer

Re: simple veneer type rosette making

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

After the veneer ring is cut I use alcohol or lacquer thinner to release it from the substrate and set it aside to dry (which only takes a few minutes).
I then reset the router to cut the sound hole groove. I cut most of the way through the top but leave a thin web to hold the "plug" in place. I find keeping it intact at this point makes keeping things flat when sanding a little easier.
Attachments
smpl rose 3.jpg
smpl rose 4.jpg
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

I set up another router to rout the area where the veneer will go. Veneer being rather thin, the bit is set accordingly and the rout still leaves the purfling grooves intact. I then use spray shellac to lightly seal the rosette area. I set and tack in place the purfling strips with CA glue
Attachments
smpl rose 5.jpg
smpl rose 6.jpg
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

I then flood (lightly) the area between the purflings with CA and fit the veneer ring in place and "rub" it down with a stick to make sure it is making good contact with the soundboard.
I then plane down the purflings flush and lightly sand the rosette.
Attachments
smpl rose 7.jpg
smpl rose 8.jpg
smpl rose 8.jpg (86.9 KiB) Viewed 7787 times
Chuck Tweedy

Post by Chuck Tweedy »

Looks great Clay! I've done exactly the same thing in the past - works great!
Thanks for sharing
Likes to drink Rosewood Juice
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

Hi Chuck,
I've seen a number of people use these veneer rosettes on their guitars, and decided to try making a couple. They are so easy to do it almost feels like cheating. That is the second one I've done.
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

Segmented veneer rosettes are easy too. You can use contrasting woods or small scraps to piece them together. Angles don't need to be precise, in fact you can make them at odd angles and make them look cubist or random.
MIMF Staff
Carl Dickinson

Post by Carl Dickinson »

Here's some segmented ones out of Manzanita burl.
For the one with the natural edge I flipped it over and using the same jig recessed the outer and inner edge so it would fit down in the channel.
PICT0262.JPG
P1012883.JPG
PICT0209.JPG
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

Hi Carl,
The one with the natural edge looks nice. What kind of jig did you use to recess it into the top?
Carl Dickinson

Post by Carl Dickinson »

Clay,
Took me a while to get pics of the jig. I use a tutorial provided by Eric Schaefer, maybe on OLF, to build the rosette blank. On the natural edge one, the outside edge was sized to the finished dimension.
Segment gluing jig
Segment gluing jig
Segment jig and burl pieces
Segment jig and burl pieces

Sand it to thickness then stick it down to the routing jig. I use the double tape method with CA between. Usually they are finished side up. I go between jig and top as the radius is set on the router like your description above.
The natural edge one was stuck upside down on routing jig. Start with the outside radius in the top. Maintaining the depth, increase the radius by a little less than the bit/burr width to reduce the slop in the fit and do the recess on the outside edge of the rosette. Repeat until edge is cleared. Then cut the inside radius on the top. Decrease the router radius as on the outside and clear the inside radius until the inside rosette dimension is cleared. Increase the depth of cut and cut out the rosette center. Clear the rosette grove, cut out the soundhole. The top needs to be sanded to finished thickness before gluing it. Keep in mind where the end of the fingerboard will be too.
Route jig
Route jig
Route jig and top
Route jig and top
Route jig and top old
Route jig and top old
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

Thank you for the explanation. I will have to try one sometime.

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”