reclaimed wood?

Ask your wood and other materials questions here. Please DO NOT post pictures and ask us to identify your wood, we have found that accurate ID is nearly impossible, and such discussions will be deleted. Thanks.
Micah Covington

reclaimed wood?

Post by Micah Covington »

A friend has some property with the remains of an old barn. He didn't know what to do with it. I found many pieces of pine which had been sitting for over 60 years. They were just thrown in a pile, but are straight and show no signs of warping. They are incredibly dry, and have checked quite a bit. They are also the hardest pine i have ever encountered. I was thinking of using these for a solid body or the wings of a neck through. Is there anything I can use to fill the cracks? Is this wood usable? Am I crazy for even trying?
Jason Rodgers

Re: reclaimed wood?

Post by Jason Rodgers »

Call it what you like - recycled, reclaimed, reused, "seasoned" - if it's falling apart, then it's just plain old and decaying. Find pieces that do not have significant cracks and checks, pull out all the metal, run em through a planer or sander to get down to some clean(er) wood, and make a better assessment. Generally speaking, cracks are to be avoided in instrument construction.
-Ruining perfectly good wood, one day at a time.
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

Hi Micah,
You can fill the cracks with epoxy. For a solid body guitar structural integrity is the main concern, so as long as the wood is "solid" you should be fine.
Matthew Lau

Post by Matthew Lau »

Dude! Nice score.

I prefer using salvaged wood myself, because the quality of wood back then was often far superior to what we have now (for the same species).
Same rules apply: go for clear, stable wood that's not cracked or falling apart.

Jason gives good advice.

Return to “Wood and Materials Q&A”