Uh-oh. Quick fix?

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Karl Wicklund

Uh-oh. Quick fix?

Post by Karl Wicklund »

My 30 year old Epiphone Dove is feeling her age, I guess.

Today, the 11th fret simply fell out. Moments later the plastic button on the G tuning machine crumbled. Not sure what's going on - humidity hasn't changed markedly. The tuner button was probably ready to go.

Tomorrow I am scheduled to accompany my Middle School choir, and then play a two-hour set immediately after work.

The fret seats back in, with no noticeable buzz. I can find a little time to get a drop of glue in there to hold through tomorrow night. So, not great, but doable.

I don'tt have replacement tuners on hand. I've got some cheapo-open back ones I use one cigar box builds, but I don't want to re-drill for something that'll be in place only briefly. Any suggestions on how to tune this guitar up, other than pliers on the post?

My two back up gigging guitars are out of commission/town at the moment. I've got the call out to borrow one, but it's looking dicey. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Kaptain Karl
Jim McConkey

Re: Uh-oh. Quick fix?

Post by Jim McConkey »

The fret can be glued, at least temporarily. Stew-Mac sells a special tool to recrimp the tangs on a fret to make it hold better. That obviously won't do you any good in the short term, but you might be able to hold the tang in a vise sideways and dimple the tang with a punch and hammer to achieve about the same effect. Alternate the dimples from both sides. This just makes the tang wider to hold better.

For the tuner button, get a small cutoff of hardwood about the size of the button, drill a hole no bigger than the thinner dimension of the tuner post (they are usually flattened circles), and hammer it on. It may get you through the day tomorrow. (Pliers will get you by, too).
MIMForum Staff - Way North of Baltimore
Karl Wicklund

Re: Uh-oh. Quick fix?

Post by Karl Wicklund »

Well it worked. I got into the school shop on my lunch break. With only a drill press and a dull hand saw available I made a workable though huge and clunky piece. Some people in the audience got a kick out of it.
Thanks.
Kaptain Karl

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”