Paper for label?

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Eric Knapp

Paper for label?

Post by Eric Knapp »

Hi, all.

What kind of paper do you use for your labels that are glued to the inside of the back on an acoustic guitar? And what kind of glue?

Thanks,

-Eric
Bob Gramann

Re: Paper for label?

Post by Bob Gramann »

I use 24 lb copy paper (with an ink jet printed label) and fish glue.
Eric Knapp

Post by Eric Knapp »

Bob Gramann wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:42 pm I use 24 lb copy paper (with an ink jet printed label) and fish glue.
Thanks, Bob. I have that kind of paper on hand so I'll just use it.

-Eric
Bob Orr

Post by Bob Orr »

Heavy inkjet paper. Print them off then seal with a spray of matt varnish then stick to guitar with Titebond original.
Alan Carruth

Post by Alan Carruth »

I had a student who was an art teacher. She said that it's possible to get acid free copy paper if you're worried about permanence, and that laser prints are considered 'archival'.
Peter Wilcox

Post by Peter Wilcox »

I inkjet print them on regular copy paper, spray with rattle can lacquer, and glue with Elmer's wood glue. They will probably last as long as the instrument does, and certainly much longer than I will.
Maybe I can't fix it, but I can fix it so no one can fix it
Eric Knapp

Post by Eric Knapp »

Thanks, everyone. I was overthinking and was wondering if some fancy system was needed. My third guitar is still just a learning experience and adding a label is one of the new things I'm doing. I don't know when I'll make one that feels like I've graduated. 😎

-Eric
Mike Conner

Post by Mike Conner »

Ivory linen type acid free paper, printed in a laser printer and signed with fine sharpie. I spray the back with 3M contact adhesive. Lower carefully through the sound hole with curved tweezers.

Flat tops get a single oval label. The archtops have a numbered label inside one f-hole, and Psalm 108 quote in the other.

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”