Binding Machines - Thoughts?

Questions about tools and jigs you want to buy/build/modify.
Bill Raymond

Re: Binding Machines - Thoughts?

Post by Bill Raymond »

I'll try to post a photo when we get back home after Thanksgiving in Petaluma.
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

I think what the world needs is a binding machine with micro-adjustable depth and width settings. I made a wooden Rube Goldberg looking prototype a few years ago and it is nice being able to zero in on settings without a lot of fussing. It worked so well that I never made the nice looking version.
MIMF Staff
Bryan Bear

Post by Bryan Bear »

Barry, I can't seem to see the picture you posted of your rig <g>
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.
David Boehnker

Post by David Boehnker »

Thanks to all for this discussion. I manually routed number 12 this weekend using the same old Dremel and hand-built jig that I've used for all of them. Three passes with a #115 bit. Each time I tell myself I will get something fancier, and came in today to ask which one is best on this forum. I guess if I step up, I'll try the vertical jig.
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

Bryan, you are not looking hard enough. ;-)

I never posted any photos because it doesn't look that great. But if you want I can go snap a few.
MIMF Staff
Bryan Bear

Post by Bryan Bear »

Well Barry, my eyes aren't what they used to be <g>

I'd be interested in seeing it mostly out of curiosity. I have no immediate plans to make a new set-up for routing these channels. I was just thinking if your device looked promising, I may decide I need to try it. I guess mostly I just like Rube Goldbergs. . . Let me guess, to adjust the depth, you turn the knob clockwise which pops a balloon. That noise scares the chicken on top of the jig who lays an egg. That egg falls through a hole in the nest and rolls down a spiral around the router. . .
PMoMC

Bill Raymond

Post by Bill Raymond »

jig2resized.jpg
Here's a photo of the parallelogram linkage of my binding cutter. You can see that the pivots in the parallelogram linkage are short sections of piano hinge.
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

First, apologies for taking so long to post these photos. Shop was in transition. Anyway, here is my binding jig. It has micro-adjustable vertical and horizontal depth settings using a homemade linear actuator. The thread on the actuator is 1/4"-20 so one complete turn of the knob moves the sled 50/1,000 of an inch. Once positioned, the sled is locked down with the knobs. Since it was made from wood I did not expect much accuracy, but it is actually quite accurate. I can usually dial in settings within a couple of thousandths. Feel free to ask me any questions.
Attachments
IMG_0003.jpg.zip
(802.83 KiB) Downloaded 660 times
IMG_0002.jpg.zip
(833.33 KiB) Downloaded 570 times
IMG_0001.jpg.zip
(953.73 KiB) Downloaded 614 times
MIMF Staff
Bryan Bear

Post by Bryan Bear »

Barry, I can't download your pics from my phone so I'll have to wait until I can get to a desktop. I just wanted to thank you for remembering to post these; I'm very interested in seeing them.
PMoMC

Matthew Lau

Post by Matthew Lau »

Nice!

Are you going to the meetup on Sunday?
Greg Martin

Post by Greg Martin »

Don Mcrostie who does mandolins showed a donut jig he uses on the table router.the stewmac bearing bits are used the donut surrounds the bit and the body is held in place on the lip of the donut and with sized spool clamps in 3-4 places around the body. Ive used that on lp guitar builds and will test it on my current archtop build, the only dry back I noticed was having to rout and move the spool clamps as you go around. anyone use this method?

Return to “Tools and Jigs”