Three stringed guitar like instrument

If it's not a guitar or a bass guitar discussion, and it's got strings, put it here.
F Murtz

Three stringed guitar like instrument

Post by F Murtz »

Has any one seen or have plans for an instrument that I have just seen which is made out of a piece of wood an inch square x the length of the instrument split at the end looks like vague drawing?
Bryan Bear

Re: Three stringed guitar like instrument

Post by Bryan Bear »

Google "strum stick" also try "long neck dulcimer." You will come up with lots of stuff to read. My first instrument was made in similar fashion but bigger and deeper bodied. I have a soft spot in my heart for these instruments because they are what got me started and gave me the confidence to get into the hobby. You might also look for a site called something like dulciaddict or something like that. I don't know if it is still up but I really liked it years ago when I was pondering making my first. He has lots of versions of the basic long neck dulcimer concept, some simple and some a little more complex. It should give you some ideas.
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.
Clay Schaeffer

Re: Three stringed guitar like instrument

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

You can also search "stick dulcimer". The "Strumstick" was developed by Bob McNally who also worked with C.F.Martin on the "backpacker" guitar design. They have a similar body form.
Stick dulcimers are easy to build and fun to play. I have built a number of them with formica bodies and spruce or cedar tops. I like to give them a larger and deeper body than the strumstick and the are quite loud.

Return to “Other Stringed Instruments”