confounding buzz

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.

confounding buzz

Postby Robert Smallwood » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:39 pm

Hi.

I have a strat with a wilkinson trem which I made some time ago.

The E1st string has developed a rattle all the way up ie on each fret , from about fret 10 and it even buzzes loudly on the very last fret. The string is not touching the end of the neck or the pickups.

I have put plumbers' tape around every grub screw and thread I caN find gone up & down the neck with 600 grit , a stewmac fret rocker files etc etc - ie there are no high frets underlying the E 1st string. As far as I can tell the frets are seated well.

I'm not sure where to look next.

I think this has come on over time and indeed i'd swear on some days it's worse than others but that's a little subjective.

Can anyone give me some clues and ideas on identifying the basic issue and fixing it please?

All advice welcome.

Thanks,

Rob.
Robert Smallwood

Re: confounding buzz

Postby Gordon Bellerose » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:34 am

Ah.... the elusive buzz.
First of all place your hand on every piece of hardware while you're plucking the string.
Secondly tighten every screw.

I am assuming you have tightened everything on the bridge itself, thus eliminating that possible source.
It could be a saddle with a rounded edge or a sharp groove worn in it. Or a loose fitting trem handle.
It could also be the truss rod, although that should buzz with every string.
It could also be coming from a loose piece on a tuning head, or a string retainer.

If all that fails try changing the string.
I need your help. I can't possibly make all the mistakes myself!
Gordon Bellerose

Return to Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars