Dust Collectors

Questions about tools and jigs you want to buy/build/modify.

Dust Collectors

Postby Dale Penrose » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:15 am

Does anyone do anything special to ground the hoses/tubes? I added a homemade cyclone to my dust collector, 4" dryer vent between my drum sander and barrel. First day using it I noticed a static shock every time I touched it. I have since placed a length of bare copper wire between the tubes and this eliminated the static. What does everyone else do?
Dale Penrose

Re: Dust Collectors

Postby Bob Hammond » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:53 am

The static is a nuisance but is not dangerous except in factory-size installations. Some plastics are more susceptible to static charge accumulation. Aside from that, dryer vent hose may not be the best choice for a duct because it's corrugated and often very thin-walled. Try using rigid Sch 30 sewer pipe with swept elbows and wyes. You can make gaskets for the blast gates and fittings from strips of 2mm polyurethane foam from a craft store.
Bob Hammond

Re: Dust Collectors

Postby Mark Fogleman » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:43 pm

Funny...I have never had this problem using a mixture of flex pipe, metal connectors and PVC main lines to the cyclone. The cyclone is located next to the power panel and ~3ft through the wall to the ground rod so this may explain.
Mark Fogleman

Return to Tools and Jigs