neck transplant

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Clay Schaeffer

neck transplant

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

I recently removed a neck from one guitar and transplanted it to another body. Originally it was on a body I had built for steel stringing, but the tuners I modified couldn't handle the tension. I mounted them similar to the originals - with the worms below the posts (which I know is poor practice). it tore up the cogs in short order. I replaced the cogs and restrung it in nylon. Mechanically this worked O.K. but the sound of the guitar suffered. It has a sassafras soundboard which gives a sound midway between spruce and mahogany.
The Donor:
Attachments
sas1.jpg
sas2.jpg
Clay Schaeffer

Re: neck transplant

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

The recipient :
Attachments
neck trans.jpg
neck trans 2.jpg
neck trans 3.jpg
neck trans 4.jpg
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

This was the guitar I mentioned in Chuck Tweedy's post that originally sounded terrible. I guess it took a little while for the neck to wake up in a new body. It sounds quite nice now. It is kind of a crossover with a narrower nut width than a classical and a radiused fretboard.
I used a "fan X" bracing that I have used on both steel and nylon strung guitars. Overall I have been happy with the results - it seems to give a more balanced sound (bass/treble) than the Torres style bracing.
Attachments
X fan brace.jpg
X fan brace.jpg (87.75 KiB) Viewed 5527 times
Karl Wicklund

Post by Karl Wicklund »

I like that head stock. Are the enclosed tuners traditional or something you came up with?

Did the donor get a new neck?
Kaptain Karl
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

Hi Karl,
The enclosed tuners are somewhat traditional with that style of headstock. The original guitar I have has a plate on the back. Some used a plate on the front and some used tuners similar to "banjo" straight through friction tuners. The original tuners were made a little differently than modern tuners and used tiny cotter pins to hold things together. I think Johann Georg Stauffer originated the design, but others have used it for the past 150+ years.
Attachments
stauffer1.jpg
stauffer1.jpg (88.48 KiB) Viewed 5512 times
stauffer4.jpg
stauffer5.jpg
stauffer 7.jpg
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

P.S. The line of holes in the cover plate that run through the "medallion" I believe were for oiling the gears.
The donor guitar will be getting a new neck with tuners that can take the strain of steel strings.
Karl Wicklund

Post by Karl Wicklund »

Hah! That is something that will bear some reading up on. Thanks for the extra photos Clay.
Kaptain Karl
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

Rodgers will make you a set for $850.
I modded mine from an $8 set of Chinese mandolin tuners. They aren't quite as nice. :) Here is a picture of them in the old original peghead I copied.
Attachments
tuner mod 6.jpg

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”