Acoustic/electric dreadnaught, adjustable neck

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.

Acoustic/electric dreadnaught, adjustable neck

Postby Peter Wilcox » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:36 pm

After several years, I thought I'd try my hand at an acoustic guitar again (besides resophonics.)

Back, sides and neck are mahogany, top and headstock veneer spruce, bridge osage orange, fret board Honduran rosewood. It differs significantly from the usual build in that it has a solid body type neck pocket and heel, a Smallman type adjustable neck (and an overly large head block to accommodate), double X bracing, flying buttresses, a zero fret and straight pull to tuners. The head stock inlay is a Mexican 5 peso coin.

It has some cosmetic defects, as do all my builds, but if I live long enough I may make a perfect guitar some day. :)

top1.jpg

back.jpg

side-view.jpg

heel-strap-button.jpg

headstock.jpg
Maybe I can't fix it, but I can fix it so no one can fix it
Peter Wilcox

Re: Acoustic/electric dreadnaught, adjustable neck

Postby Bob Francis » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:23 pm

Really nice!
Bob Francis

Postby Peter Wilcox » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:36 pm

A few more pics.

Bracing.

CF-struts.jpg

Neck assembly. The Allen screw adjusts the neck angle, accessed through the hole in the fret board. The striker plate is the 3rd drywall screw. String tension holds the neck in place.

neck-assembly.jpg
Maybe I can't fix it, but I can fix it so no one can fix it
Peter Wilcox

Postby Bryan Bear » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:12 pm

Cool!
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.
Bryan Bear

Postby Steven Wheeler » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:41 pm

Nice neck adjust Peter. My initial attempt at this was similar to yours but for some reason I couldn't work out the hinge to my satisfaction. You make it look simple. In the end I found some brass hardware and accomplished the same thing in a different manner.
My only worry with the system is that in time the end of the neck may "ski ramp" but the three I've built ranging from 2 to 10 years old show no signs of deformation. I skipped the intonation adjustment after the first one as it became apparent that it was unnecessary.
I like that massive neck block coupled to the UTB. I've added that detail to my standard neck guitars also.

Here's a couple of pics of the original during the build. Action adjust is the same as yours and intonation I adjusts through the soundhole just below the trussrod.
Attachments
430.jpg
429.jpg
Steven Wheeler

Return to Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars