LMI wood

Alternative to Hide/Synthetic Heads?

Ask your wood and other materials questions here. Please DO NOT post pictures and ask us to identify your wood, we have found that accurate ID is nearly impossible, and such discussions will be deleted. Thanks.

Alternative to Hide/Synthetic Heads?

Postby Daniel Fenson » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:09 am

I'm trying to create an instrument out of household materials, and one of my ideas involves using a head like you find on Banjos, Tambourines, or Drums. But if I bought something designed for an instrument, it'd defeat the purpose of the project.

So does anyone know of an alternative I could use, that I could hopefully buy locally?

Thanks!
Daniel Fenson

Re: Alternative to Hide/Synthetic Heads?

Postby Bob Gramann » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:39 am

Depending on the size you need, a large tyvek mailing envelope would give you a pretty tough membrane. They are hard to rip. I don’t know if the tyvek building wraps are just as reinforced.
Bob Gramann

Postby Brian Evans » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:45 pm

I don't know about your household, but I could probably come up with an old leather coat to take a drum head out of, depending on size. Prep it properly and install it using old techniques, there you go.
Brian Evans

Postby David King » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:21 pm

If you are needing a fairly low tension head you could try model airplane wing covering film from a hobby shop. TopFlight is a good brand and dozens of colors to choose from. It's a heat shrink film with heat activated adhesive backing. One roll might do 10-12 heads though.
David King

Postby Karl Wicklund » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:50 pm

Cut the top and bottom off a 2 liter bottle. Split the remaining cylindrical part and unroll it. Tack this down across a frame and hit it with a hair dryer. It’s not big but it’s tough and tightens right up.

I picked this up from someone else on MIMF, wish I could remember who now.
Kaptain Karl
Karl Wicklund

Postby Daniel Fenson » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:07 pm

Karl Wicklund wrote:Cut the top and bottom off a 2 liter bottle. Split the remaining cylindrical part and unroll it. Tack this down across a frame and hit it with a hair dryer. It’s not big but it’s tough and tightens right up.

I picked this up from someone else on MIMF, wish I could remember who now.

That might work really well. I'll have to figure out how to tack it down though. I'll be working with plastic/metal instead of wood. Perhaps rivets?

Bob Gramann wrote:Depending on the size you need, a large tyvek mailing envelope would give you a pretty tough membrane. They are hard to rip. I don’t know if the tyvek building wraps are just as reinforced.

An envelope would be perfect for the theme of the project. I'll have to see if I can get my hands on one.
Daniel Fenson

Postby David King » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:38 pm

Tyvek priority mail envelopes are available for "free" at most post offices in the US.
David King

Postby Bob Francis » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:34 pm

David King wrote:Tyvek priority mail envelopes are available for "free" at most post offices in the US.

My kinda guy!
Bob Francis

Return to Wood and Materials Q&A