Holding bodies and necks during finishing

TEST ON SCRAP FIRST! If your question is about repair work, either regluing or refinishing, please post it in our Repair Section.

Holding bodies and necks during finishing

Postby Andrew McSpadden » Thu May 16, 2019 9:39 pm

I am spraying more and am tired of coat hangers and screws to hang my stuff. I have worked in several factories and seen some neat ways of holding and hanging parts during finishing. Anybody care to share what they use or a pic of a great idea?

Thanks in advance!
Andrew McSpadden

Re: Holding bodies and necks during finishing

Postby David King » Thu May 16, 2019 11:47 pm

I used a system my friend with the spray booth uses. It's 3/4" galvanized electrical conduit, hammered flat at one end and screwed to a block of wood that can key into some part of the guitar body or neck and get fixed there. You can slip the pipe over a mandrel or hang it from a wire when you aren't holding it and turning the part as you spray it. There are mandrels sticking out at various angles around the room so you can spray a stack of parts and set them up to dry or turn them frequently to stop runs from forming.
David King

Return to Glues and Finishes