new member hello - project electric cello

Please put any questions about repairing your instrument or the finish on it in our Repairs section.
James Rugby

new member hello - project electric cello

Post by James Rugby »

I thought I would introduce my self

My name is James and I live in the UK. I am really new to stringed Instruments and music in general
I have started to learn to play the guitar But I am struggling as I have short fat finger BUT........... its on my bucket list to learn a stringed instrument so I have have gone first to make my electric cello first and then learn to play it.

Last summer I made with my ten year old son a CNC Machine and finished it at Christmas and very soon the forth axis will be finished.

I'm no stranger to wood and a chisel

Tool I have are as follows CNC Machine, chop saw, Band saw, Jig saw, drill press, jointer, Planes electric and hand, thicknesser
many chisels and three of four sanders, also a wood turners lathe, hand drills and many more, the list goes on and on

It would be very foolish of me to expect to make a classic acoustic cello this is why I have gone for a electric cello

I have found plans for a acoustic cello and will use only for size and dimensions as this is the kind if instrument I would like to make a similar to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH9fh-T9qHU I also adore this song

James
Mark Swanson

Re: new member hello - project electric cello

Post by Mark Swanson »

Welcome to the MIMForum, James.
Good luck with the Cello! it reminds me of an instrument built by one other of the Staff here, Jim McConkey. His was a violin but quite similar looking....
Cool video, but where is her amp? <G>
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
John E Giarrizzo

Post by John E Giarrizzo »

Hello James. It's been a while since I posted here. Your building an electric cello sparked my interest, as I have been wanting to also build one "someday". I have built 18 acoustic violins over the years, and am working on 19 and 20. Couldn't have got started without the help of this forum back in 2001.

I don't want to take the time to build all the molds and fixtures just for one acoustic cello, and that's a lot of wood to carve, which is why I think electric is the way to go. This instrument would be for my own use --- basement recording --- once I learned to sort of play it --- amazing what you can do with editing with today's software.

I've done only a little research into form, and pickups and electronics. Keep us posted as to your progress. When I finish these latest violins, it just might be "someday".
Greg Steil

Post by Greg Steil »

neat tune I'd say, but music videos have nothing at all to do with actual music. They are a director perhaps with a vision and a budget. No telling what can happen there. Show us the player actually playing. Am I being curmudgoenly?
James Rugby

Post by James Rugby »

after spending hour days weeks and even months yes I started looking for a good source of plans in March I have come to the conclusion that they don't exist (free) well not completely true I did find a free down load and after printing it out found it incomplete. Yes the down load didn't have a lot of dimensions on it.

So armed with the above information I have decided to buy my plans from good old ebay or rent a cello to take my measurement from.

Here is the link for ebay listing

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Old-Antique-1 ... 557wt_1185

however This morning I'm quite excited as last night I did find on skechup a drawing of the Yamaha I would like to emulate So armed with both these references I expect to start working in a week or two depending on shipping times.

The wood I will be using is maple (laminated) ebony for the finger board walnut for the suggestion of shape again this will be laminated

I have also decided to buy a book or two on teaching myself the cello. What would we do without the internet yes found a book and CD on Amazon here is the book

Cello Playing for Music Lovers: A Self-teaching Method - Vera Mattlin Jiji; Spiral-bound

Anyway that is the update for today thank you all for the time you have invested in replying to this post

With thanks

James

Return to “Bowed Stringed Instruments and Bows”