First post/first build

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Dwayne Donnelly

First post/first build

Post by Dwayne Donnelly »

Hey everyone how are you. Thought I would share some pics of my first build, I bought the plans online it's based on John Petrucci's axe. Wood is brown ash, pickup rings are ply stained with wallnut, neck and tuners are from a Squire, pots are Gibson with a 022uf cap on the front and a 047uf cap on the back, pickups are Seymour Duncan Jazz on the front and Trembuster split with a toggle on the back, bridge is a stock Fender. I'm very pleased with the way it came out even with me drilling through the body 4 times...lol Had the router jump around a few times so as long as no one looks at the back it looks awesome! So how does it sound? Freakin ass kicking awesome! Using brown ash it's a tad heavy at 7 lbs but still not as heavy as a Les Paul and it has killer sustain!
Thanks for looking any comments are greatly appreciated.
dwayne
Attachments
3.JPG
2.jpg
1.jpg
Greg Robinson

Re: First post/first build

Post by Greg Robinson »

Hi Dwayne,
Please note that we require the use of real full (first and last) names on this forum, and do not accept aliases or "handles". Please let us know your name either here or in a private message and we will update your username and login details for you (you are not able to make these changes to your account yourself). Thanks.

Also, good looking first build!
MIMForum staff member - Melbourne, Australia
Dwayne Donnelly

Hey Greg, thanks for the reply, it's Dwayne Donnelly
Markku Nyytäjä

Post by Markku Nyytäjä »

For a first build that's really nice. My first "guitars" were terrible. I like the wood, especially the part between the pickups and the pots.
Greg Robinson

Post by Greg Robinson »

Dwayne, it appears you've registered twice, once with a yahoo account, but the account you're posting from is registered with a hotmail account. I've deleted the yahoo account so that I could update this account. Thanks.
MIMForum staff member - Melbourne, Australia
Patrick DeGreve

Post by Patrick DeGreve »

Hi Dwayne: Welcome to the forum. I like your first build very much. I love natural wood guitars. The ash is very nice. I can't tell from the pictures, are the tunning knobs wood as well, or the gold dome knobs? Keep posting, I would love to see more.
Dwayne Donnelly

Thank you for the replies. I picked ash for it's grain as I knew I wanted a clear finish on my first one, it seemed easier than messing with sealers and paints so I just slapped on a bunch of coats of minwax ployurathane sanding in between buffed it out and it truned out great. The knobs are 60's style Gibson gold.
Justin Figley

Post by Justin Figley »

That looks like a nice instrument. I am a fan of hard tail Strats and Duncan Jazz neck pickups. I don't expect my first to turn out that nice if I ever finish it. I really like your creative reuse of the Squier neck.
Justin Figley - Engineer, Poser, Poor Speller
Dwayne Donnelly

Hey all, thanks again. I took it to my local shop and had the guru give it the once over, I can play but not great when I heard it in the hands of pro I almost cried this thing is SAWEET! On the Squire neck, he said there were some hi spots I knew the b string buzzed a bit at the 10th fret so I'm having him give it a fret job and set it up again, he's promised me that when he's done it'll play like a American Strat. Man I can't wait :)
David Schwab

Post by David Schwab »

Nice first build, and good to see an original design and not another PRS copy! ;)

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”