truss rod question

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Chris Flynn

truss rod question

Post by Chris Flynn »

I am getting ready to build a Bass for myself and one for my friend at the same time, I have built 12 or so guitars, in acoustic, electrics, and a couple of basses, I have always used the old fashioned gibson truss rods, made from the steel rod and have had good luck. but this time is am going to try a neck through. I thought I remember reading in Melvin H's book that he is not a fan of two way adjustable rods. I do know his book was written before the availablity of the the ones that are available today. so do they work better than the old fashion gibson style,
what does everyone think about truss rods. today. I tried a search on this and there does not seem to be much discussion on it in the new forum maybe there was in the old one. or maybe I am just not asking Mr. search button the correct questions. HA.
thanks in advance for your reply's
Bob Gramann

Re: truss rod question

Post by Bob Gramann »

I vote for the two-way rod sold by Allied Lutherie. It works very well. Coat the threads with an anti-seize compound before you install it. You will like it.
David King

Post by David King »

I'm still not a fan of the two-way rods. I'm really liking the tone, weight and effectiveness of a single curved rod. They aren't the easiest the install and getting the curve and depth just right is not for the faint of heart but I don't think there's a better way.
Greg Robinson

Post by Greg Robinson »

Another vote for the Allied Lutherie two-way rod. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Hands down the best rod on the market.
MIMForum staff member - Melbourne, Australia
julian gifford

Post by julian gifford »

I still havent tried the rods from allied but like above, everyone says they're the best. I always use 2 way rods though.

As for an anti sieze compound on the threads, use vaseline (petroleum jelly) it will always stay in place and never dry out (unless you leave the guitar in a car in summer maybe it will ooze some) Thats what fender uses on their threads.
Rodger Knox

Post by Rodger Knox »

+1 for the Allied rod. I've also used the StewMac rod, which is also very good, but with major differences.
The Allied rod only requires a 3/8" deep slot, the StewMac requires 7/16".
The Allied rod is 1/4" wide, the StewMac is a little less, it's not tight in a 1/4" wide channel. I believe StewMac sells a router bit.
The StewMac rod is more "sensitive" 1/4 turn gives about the same adjustment as 2 turns on the Allied rod.
A man hears what he wants to hear, and disreguards the rest. Paul Simon
Chris Flynn

Post by Chris Flynn »

thanks for the input. after thinking and reading these post, I am going to build one with an allied rod, and the other with the old fashion Gibson rod, since I am building one for me and one for my friend, it will be interesting to see and hear the differences, I am going to use identical wood, pickups. bridges, tuners, and finish, should be interesting. It will take a while for me as work building cabinets, and furniture has really picked up, ( been a long 6 years since the housing crash.. HA)
Greg Martin

Post by Greg Martin »

I made my first guitar was from melvins book and I too adopted the single action truss rod as well. Used with graphite rods I thought nothing could ever beat that combo. But now we have 2 manufactures allied and WD who really do make great 2 way rods especially for bass where I believe it is necessary. I build a lp clone in 2010 and used a wd 18" 2 way rod along with the graphite rods which I still install in every build,and love it.the neck is so stable and the relief in the neck is exactly where it needs to be .Technology some time is a great thing.
Mark Swanson

Post by Mark Swanson »

Technology some time is a great thing.
Yes, and sometimes it isn't...such as here, where we require the use of full names first and last. If you'll tell one of the moderators you last name we'll fix that for you, thanks.
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”