Peghead: 5/8" too thick?

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Chad McCormack

Peghead: 5/8" too thick?

Post by Chad McCormack »

Hello all.

I just realized that the 2-ply peghead overlay plus the 1-ply rear overlay brings my peghead to exactly 5/8". Too thick? I have a Fender peghead here at 9/16", so I'm thinking another 1/16" isn't going to be a deal-breaker. However, the Gotoh tuners I'm planning to use (StewMac #0914) leave me with what looks like 0.100" thread contact when installed, and that seems a little weak to me. Am I going to be alright, or will I need to plane down the rear of the peghead and glue up a new rear overlay?

Chad
Mario Proulx

Re: Peghead: 5/8" too thick?

Post by Mario Proulx »

That's enough thread, but does the shaft's taper clear the bushing, or will it look nasty?

You -could- recess the bushing into the peghead a bit.
Chad McCormack

Post by Chad McCormack »

Hi Mario. I need to drill the 10mm holes for the tuners and test fit them. If the taper clears the bushing and looks alright, then I think I'll go with it. I *might* consider recessing the bushing, just to the depth of the washer. I really don't want to plane down the back of the peghead as I've already laminated the veneer and roughed out the volute transition:

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u48 ... volute.jpg

Thanks again, Mario. You've been doing this, rather successfully I might add, for a long time! If you think that 0.100" of thread contact is adequate, then I'll definitely take your word for it.
julian gifford

Post by julian gifford »

.100 would probably work ok- but it's far from ideal... You do need to consider the thickness of your finish as well. Some go on a lot thicker than others.... Automotive primer, paint and clearcoat are probably .025-.035 thick (combined front and back of headstock) leaving you .065-.075 of thread- or even less.

Good thing you dont have schallers with the staggered post heights- I'm sure they wouldnt work on a thick headstock.
Chad McCormack

Post by Chad McCormack »

Thanks Julian. I actually dug around a bit and found that for $10 more, the Grover midsize Rotomatics will fit my headstock with approximately 0.225" thread contact. Grovers it is. Thanks again.

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”