How much wood?

Ask your wood and other materials questions here. Please DO NOT post pictures and ask us to identify your wood, we have found that accurate ID is nearly impossible, and such discussions will be deleted. Thanks.
Micah Covington

How much wood?

Post by Micah Covington »

Approximately how many board feet of wood is required to make an electric guitar? I am looking at making an LP Junior inspired guitar.
David King

Re: How much wood?

Post by David King »

It depends on if you nest the body halves or start with a solid body blank. I'm not sure how thick and LP Jr is but you might be able to do it with 6/4 lumber so you might get by with as little as 3 board/feet if all the dimensions are just right. Typically folks will buy a blank that's pre joined and with be 8/4 thick and 14" x 24", that's about 4.5B/f
Neck wood is even more variable. Traditional neck blanks with yield two necks but at least 1/2 the wood is scrap. If you stack the heel and do a scarf joint at the headstock you can get by with less than 1B/f but again the dimensions are critical. Someone who actually builds guitars can give you exact figures.
Rodger Knox

Post by Rodger Knox »

There's probably about 2 board feet of wood in a LP junior, but that's not what you need to know.
The board feet you need to buy depends on the diminsions of the lumber and how it will have to be cut & glued to be a guitar. There can be a huge wastage factor, 2 or 3 times the final amount, so 4 or 5 board feet would be a reasonable guess.
A man hears what he wants to hear, and disreguards the rest. Paul Simon
Micah Covington

Post by Micah Covington »

Thanks a lot.

I have built basses before but I had all of the wood for free and I am wondering how much I should buy for a LP JR inspired build. I guess I just need to plan it out.

Return to “Wood and Materials Q&A”