Just finished this headless semi-hollow seven-string

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Michael Sankey

Just finished this headless semi-hollow seven-string

Post by Michael Sankey »

I'm really happy with the way this one turned out. Believe it or not, this is actually the second headless semi-hollow seven-string guitar I've made. A niche market, perhaps, but I'll take it. The body and neck is black walnut, and the top is actually a beautiful piece of red spruce. It was split on the ends, and hence not long enough for an acoustic, but just right for this one. It uses those ABM single-string bridge/tuner units and a seven-string floyd-rose style locking nut. The pickups are p-90 size Lace Alumitones. These are stupendously good. I highly recommend them.
Attachments
DSC_0213.jpg
Michael Sankey

Re: Just finished this headless semi-hollow seven-string

Post by Michael Sankey »

I made deep bevels around the edges for comfort. This bit at the upper bass bout exposes the chambering to act as a kind of soundport. There is a set of Schatten thumbwheel controls (master tone and volume) peeking out of the edge too.
Attachments
DSC_0214mimf.jpg
DSC_0214mimf.jpg (110.53 KiB) Viewed 15917 times
Michael Sankey

Post by Michael Sankey »

Here's another neat thing. The client came to me with the idea of using Rick Toone's patented Trapezoid Neck Profile™ (TNP™) . I've always been an admirer of Rick's guitars, and was keen to try it out. It works quite well. The unusual shape is less intrusive than you might think, since you generally either keep your thumb flat on the back, or anchor it against one of the facets for extra leverage while bending strings. I quite liked it. I have yet to hear if it lives up to the clients expectations.
Attachments
DSC_0218mimf.jpg
DSC_0218mimf.jpg (74.07 KiB) Viewed 15915 times
Tim Douglass

Post by Tim Douglass »

I like that a lot, Michael! I would like to see a better shot of the back of the neck and how you worked the volute in there.
Henrique Schneiter

Post by Henrique Schneiter »

That's definitely inspiring and refreshing design. Great job man! And yes, more pics please!
Jason Rodgers

Post by Jason Rodgers »

That is a gorgeous piece of work! Like a re-imagining of a Klein, but with bold brush strokes and more elegant lines. More, more, more pictures, please- particularly in-progress construction. And tell more about the neck and those pickups. Wowee!
-Ruining perfectly good wood, one day at a time.
Michael Sankey

Post by Michael Sankey »

Glad you like it. Here's a shot of what it's like inside. Long neck tenon, chambers on both sides. The pickup routs were done after, and connected the chambers.
Attachments
IMG_5983.jpg
IMG_5983.jpg (101.25 KiB) Viewed 15830 times
Michael Sankey

Post by Michael Sankey »

I don't have another shot of the volute, but here you can see a little more of the neck and the back.
Attachments
DSC_0217.jpg
DSC_0217.jpg (102.73 KiB) Viewed 15828 times
Terry Mashek

Post by Terry Mashek »

Wow! Not much traditional about this guitar at all. My tastes usually run to the more orthodox designs, but I'm curiously drawn to this one. Great job!

Still not sure about that trapezoidal neck, though. :)
Jason Rodgers

Post by Jason Rodgers »

Cool stuff.
Terry Mashek wrote:Still not sure about that trapezoidal neck, though. :)
I'll agree, it doesn't seem like that should feel right. Looking at Toones's website, though, the pictures of a hand in different playing positions makes it look like not too far if a leap. Is your neck licensed? Or do you actually have to use Toones's measurements and height/width ratios to be inside the patent? How did you machine the facets?
Michael Sankey

Post by Michael Sankey »

Hi Jason. Yes, it is licensed. And you are free (encouraged, actually) to adjust the proportions to your taste. One advantage is that you get a little extra stiffness for a given neck thickness, because there's more wood on the back of the neck. In practice the limit to the thinness of the neck is the truss rod.
It was quite easy to make. Just like all my necks, I rough out the contour at the ends with a rasp, and then carve away the waste with a spokeshave.
Murray Kuun

Post by Murray Kuun »

Lovely, just up my alley!
Marko Ursin

Post by Marko Ursin »

Very nice looking guitar. Not something that would be played by rock'n'roll guitar heroes on stage but still very nice.
I like Trapezoidal neck profile on bass. I've made two of those and they work just fine. My latest however has round shape and the difference in feel between round and trapezoidal is very small.
Marko
Jason Rodgers

Post by Jason Rodgers »

Michael Sankey wrote:Hi Jason. Yes, it is licensed. And you are free (encouraged, actually) to adjust the proportions to your taste.
Hmm, that's interesting. Can we talk about the price of licensing here? Charlie?

In terms of the trapezoid proportions, I'm guessing you choose your neck thickness, but then vary the width of the back flat segment?
Last edited by Greg Robinson on Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixing quote tags.
Michael Sankey

Post by Michael Sankey »

That was pretty much how I arrived at the proportions. It's not that different in dimensions to a regular neck.
Rick's website has a section on how to go about getting a license for his various patents, with prices. It's very straightforward. And if you need to know more, he's good about responding to emails.

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”