Making a bridge setting jig - good idea or not?

Questions about tools and jigs you want to buy/build/modify.
Paul Montgomery

Making a bridge setting jig - good idea or not?

Post by Paul Montgomery »

I've been working on a 'contraption' to allow setting the bridge fore and aft, up and down, and side to side. The idea is that once the bridge is properly located, it can be marked and then glued down to the top. For this first prototype test I am using a cigar box uke that I'm making. Hopefully if this works out, the jig will be a little more universal in usage.

So here's my question for you all. Is there something like this already? Is it even necessary? Should I continue on with this project or should I just give up. Bridges have been set since forever, but I will say that after tinkering with setting the various parameters, I felt like it was like, really really in tune.

https://youtu.be/pYoZE4ZUE94
Barry Daniels

Re: Making a bridge setting jig - good idea or not?

Post by Barry Daniels »

I think it is a good idea and have done the same. The only real complicating factor is handling different scale length. Also, the placement and angle of the saddle on the bridge will have to be standardized which might not be ideal. But I think these issues can be easily addressed.
MIMF Staff
Alain Lambert

Post by Alain Lambert »

Paul Montgomery

Post by Paul Montgomery »

I am working on a newer simpler version of this tool. One thing I like impressed with on this jig though was just how in tune I got the uke. Like, sparklingly in tune. I've measured before and then filed the saddle, but this way I was able to play the instrument until I got it just right, and was able to raise the bridge a little too. In the new version I'm going to try to incorporate some other ideas. This one worked well for a soprano uke but eventually I will need it for guitars and that will require dealing with some other issues. Thanks.

Return to “Tools and Jigs”