Left handed block planes? Or hand agnostic?

Questions about tools and jigs you want to buy/build/modify.
Simon Magennis

Left handed block planes? Or hand agnostic?

Post by Simon Magennis »

Hi,

Has anyone come across a left hand block plane? I am thinking of the type with a pivot screw pressing the blade down. Recently I find that the screws kept opening up when I am using it as my left thumb touches it and opens it. My old Stanley had a different mechanism that wasn't as "handed".

Any thoughts? I think veritas did have one, but the shop I saw it in lists it as unavailable. Favourites "agnostic" block planes?
Marshall Dixon

Re: Left handed block planes? Or hand agnostic?

Post by Marshall Dixon »

I have a Record 060 low angle block plane with the tightening screw in a rather inaccessible spot. I find it hard to get to when I want to adjust it and always considered it a sinister design.
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

One of my favorite block planes is a Sargent low angle model. It doesn't have Sargent stamped anywhere on it but it is one of their designs. You can find them on eBay from $15 on up. On a quick perusal I saw a BIN for $19.95.
Attachments
sargent block plane.jpg
sargent block plane.jpg (67.06 KiB) Viewed 8051 times
Simon Magennis

Post by Simon Magennis »

The Sargent style is one of the type I consider hand agnostic. I will keep a look out for that style.
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

A few other "hand agnostic" are the Stanley "cheapies" 110 and 103. They have very simple mechanisms for holding the blade down, but once you get them adjusted they work O.K. The smaller 103 is actually a very handy plane for lutherie work. You can usually find these planes at flea markets for a couple of dollars.
The plane at the back is a #2 bench plane, but the sole is the same size as many block planes, so if you need something you can wrap your hand around you might want to find one of these. I found this one for $2, but they generally run a bit higher than that.
Attachments
block planes.jpg
Matthew Lau

Post by Matthew Lau »

Have you considered a Japanese or Hong Kong style plane?

I like both equally (or a little more) to my veritas planes.
These planes are truly ambidextrous
Bob Hammond

Post by Bob Hammond »

I was about to joke about finding a left-handed plane in the same store aisle as the left-handed screwdrivers.

My old Stanley 60-1/2 low-angle plane has a lever to secure the blade, with the adjustment screw at the back. This model is produced by several manufacturers.
Brent Tobin

Post by Brent Tobin »

There was a 'sinister' in Toronto that only sold things for left handed people. Not sure if they sell tools, but they are The Sinster Store.
Better to have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Return to “Tools and Jigs”