A faster, non-spray booth, finish for a classical guitar project.

TEST ON SCRAP FIRST! If your question is about repair work, either regluing or refinishing, please post it in our Repair Section.
Simon Magennis

A faster, non-spray booth, finish for a classical guitar project.

Post by Simon Magennis »

I generally use shellac/french polishing. I have no facilities for spraying beyond maybe an spray can occasionally.
I am doing a pair of guitars at the moment where I want to use every short cut I can think of and spending up the finish would be very helpful. One option is to brush on shellac but I am not sure how much time that would save. I will probably french polish the top in any case.

Any ideas for speedier finishes? I have no one to please but myself so I don't have worry about the "market" might say. The back and sides are a laminate with red Padauk facing. Bleeding will likely be a problem with every finish.

I am in Europe so US brand names may not be available so finish types rather than brand names would be helpful. Thanks.

I closed one up tonight and hope to get the other closed tomorrow once the solera is free again. Then they will both be put aside for a while until I get another chance to work on them.

Thanks.

This afternoon:
ready to close up.jpg
Tonight:
Untitled.jpg
Christ Kacoyannakis

Re: A faster, non-spray booth, finish for a classical guitar project.

Post by Christ Kacoyannakis »

You may want to check out obrienguitars.com French polish finish. I think it is brand specific, but he puts on a really nice French polish finish in less than a day or so (can't remember exactly, but it is quick). He does a 7 day guitar making class, and this is the finish he uses. From the pictures, it looks like a beautiful finish. He offers online courses, and his French polishing technique is one of them.
Alan Carruth

Post by Alan Carruth »

The quickest finish I've seen was a demo of 'Glu-Boost' CA finish. They have a formulation that doesn't doesn't stink as much as the usual stuff, and a special accelerator that won't cause it to foam up. One of the local makers showed us at a meeting a while back. He spread it on with a foam brush, kicked it over with the accelerator, and sanded it out level. He put on about three coats, using the same brush before it hardened up. After the third coat he level sanded it and polished it out. I don't know if you can get that brand in Europe, but almost any CA would work similarly except for the odor.
Marshall Dixon

Post by Marshall Dixon »

Have a look at Crystalac Bright Tone. I think it has a UV blocker which will help, as the Paduak will darken considerably. A quick look online seems to show availability in Europe. Robbie O'Brian applies it with a foam brush in this video:

https://youtu.be/m1EFuyD3qq8

He also does one on Glue Boost that Alan mentioned.
Simon Magennis

Post by Simon Magennis »

Thanks guys. All useful stuff.
Simon Magennis

Post by Simon Magennis »

This is one of the pair I am working on at the moment. So far I am quite happy with the progress.
If this project is successful and I manage to sell the pair quickly, next up will be a repeat with maybe four instead of two and a tweak or two to the project. Gotta finish this pair first.
ready to close up.jpg
tops.jpg
with bandsaw.jpg
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

I use a lot of Glue-Boost but only for small touchups and drop fills. I think it would be a nightmare to finish a large area with it. Getting a level surface would be the challenge.
MIMF Staff

Return to “Glues and Finishes”