reasonably price variable height bench

Questions about tools and jigs you want to buy/build/modify.
Bob Hammond

reasonably price variable height bench

Post by Bob Hammond »

Hello,

I like to work with an object at elbow height.

I found this at Home Depot today for $200. The chinawood top is ok, but the steel base, elevation mechanism, and drawers are pretty good for the price. The height is adjustable from 26 to 42 inches, which should ease some aches and pains.
Attachments
bench.jpg
Bob Hammond

Re: reasonably price variable height bench

Post by Bob Hammond »

First thing, will be to add some cabinets to the base, with drawers for tools.

Next, I may make another top for it, something like a Paulk design, and that could support a vise or clamping mechanisms.
Gordon Bellerose

Post by Gordon Bellerose »

That is a good idea. Allows the worker to adjust to a height that can prevent all kinds of posture related injuries.
200 is not too bad a deal.
How solid is it? Wobbly when extended?
I need your help. I can't possibly make all the mistakes myself!
Bob Hammond

Post by Bob Hammond »

Gordon,

The bench itself is pretty steady - but I can wiggle the entire bench on the locked casters (it also comes with feet). The powder-coated steel frame is about 11-12 gauge thick. The top has 14 threaded inserts embedded in the underside, and is fastened to the columns with four M6 machine screws on each trestle and six on a center apron. The drawers are suspended from the top on ballbearing slides attached to the metal aprons. The elevating columns have a shaft & pinion gear arrangement that has a little backlash, but the columns don't have any slop and they move smoothly up and down without slop.

Here's the ad from Home Depot, where there are pictures and the assembly manual in PDF for you to read.
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

I would get rid of the casters and put some rubber pads under the legs to help stability.
MIMF Staff
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

That would make an excellent assembly table. Or, it could be modified just a bit to accommodate the finishing support I posted awhile back.

I wish I had room for that in my shop. Really, it seems a steal at $200.
==Steve==
David King

Post by David King »

I got something quite similar at Ikea a few years back. Mine doesn't have the cross member between the uprights or the drawers and castors but it's rock solid and can accommodate various size tops besides the very heavy melamine coated chipboard top that came with it.
Peter Wilcox

Post by Peter Wilcox »

I got this one at a yard sale for $2 a few years ago. Not robust or stationary enough for pounding or sawing, but good for drawing and assembly work. Height from 28 to 44 inches, under top storage, and a mirror I can pull out and admire myself. Best of all it fits into my work bench without taking up any space.

I'll be able to use it properly in a few years when I'm bedridden.
Attachments
overbed-table1.jpg
overbed-table2.jpg
Maybe I can't fix it, but I can fix it so no one can fix it
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Peter Wilcox wrote:Best of all it fits into my work bench without taking up any space
That alone makes it an incredibly good investment! :D
==Steve==
Bob Hammond

Post by Bob Hammond »

After using the bench for about a month (see the original post), I'll say that it's a good thing. I'm going to add a toolchest below, with drawers that open from either side, and drill some dogholes too. I'll figure out a way to jack it up/down so that the casters can be used if needed. It'll make a good general purpose workbench for me.

Return to “Tools and Jigs”