Here is where you put your entries.
I put my challenge listing in the wrong place, so I am moving it here where it belongs. I plan to make two instruments for this challenge. This one is going to be an OM with a California redwood soundboard, and walnut back and sides. The neck will be a laminate of walnut, and oak. I am using walnut for the fretboard, and bridge as well. Here is a shot of some of my materials.
I started with the bridge. I read with interest the thread on using walnut for a bridge in the flat top guitar section of this forum and made my bridge deeper for a better footprint. I think this is a good idea because of the redwood soundboard as well. I think I will dowel the bridge as well. Here I set up a stop to route the saddle slot.
Here is a shot of the bridge after drilling the pin holes and shaping the bridge.
I had a chance to get back to the challenge instruments yesterday. I re-sawed the walnut for the back and sides. I cut the sides about 1/8", and then planed them to .090". I cut the backs a little thicker, so I could plane them down to 1/8".
After trimming the sides to their profile shape, I bent them in my fox style bender.
Next I made the neck and heel blocks. I made these out of some mahogany, (not a local wood),but I was not sure if walnut was suitable for the neck block. I had some mahogany that I have used for neck blocks before, and was afraid that walnut might be more prone to spliting. Here I am gluing them in place.
I made some kerfing from a piece of hard pine I pulled out of the trash at work. I work in TV a production shop in Hollywood, and the carpenters throw out pine cut offs all the time. I ripped it down to 1/4" X 3/4 ", routed one side with a round over bit, and cut the kerfing with a stop on my band saw.
Here I glued on the kerfing. I bought some small spring clamps for this purpose, clothes pins alone just don't have strength.
Here I am thicknessing the soundboard. I double faced taped the soundboard to a plywood sled, ran it through the thickness planner. I thicknessed the soundboard to .130". This is just a bit more than spruce would be, because of the redwood.
Gluing the soundboard pieces together.
Using Stew-mac's precision routing base, I routed four rings for the purfling strips. I also routed the same rings in pine, walnut, and redwood. I will use the ridges between the rings for inlay material.
Here is the finished rosette.
I cut out the soundboard, leaving about 1/2" outside the line.
After finishing the rosette, I glued up the back the same way as the soundboard. Here is a shot of the back after sanding.
Very nice! I'm crazy about black walnut and use it quite a bit. Nice to see someone else using it too! Nice job on the rosette also. Looking good!
That back is outstanding!! Can't wait to see the whole thing.
Rosette is cool as well.
Rosette is cool as well.
Likes to drink Rosewood Juice
Yeah, another one that make me ill...wish I had as much talent! with envy...
Back to work on my projects, I cut the walnut and oak into strips, which I glued up into a neckblock.
Here is a shot of the neck block. The center piece is 1/2" X 1" X 32", the two oak strips are 1/4" X 1" X32", and the outer strips are 3/4" X 1" X 32".
I decided to use the spruce bracing wood that I had, instead of the pine that I was going to use. I just thought that the pine was not stiff enough for the redwood soundboard. I pre-shaped the braces to a 15' radius with a plane, and scraper, and sanded them smooth. Then glued them in place on a radius disk.