Mixing water borne finishes - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

TEST ON SCRAP FIRST! If your question is about repair work, either regluing or refinishing, please post it in our Repair Section.
Chuck Tweedy

Mixing water borne finishes - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post by Chuck Tweedy »

so i did a crazy thing.
i'm refinishing a patio cover. the main redwood frame is nice and sound - and looks good because its been standing, protected, for 20 years.
i've stripped the old oil - i think i used Penofin on it years ago - maybe twice. can't get Penofin in CA anymore so i'm using ...
Minwax "Helmsman" water borne spar urethane - clear.
I got the whole frame covered, and needed just a bit more finish for a few boards of new lumber. so i added a half pint of ...
General Finishes "Endurovar" water borne urethane.

A half pint of Endurovar to about a half-quart of Helmsman - about 1:4

that's all i needed - and all the new boards are covered with the "special mix"

What do you think - are they compatible? the Helmsman is white. the Endurovar is (horrible) pink. a Gorey mixture. it was just a diluted pink when i used it - didn't curdle - if that could even happen!
Likes to drink Rosewood Juice
David King

Re: Mixing water borne finishes - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post by David King »

Hopefully you've come up with something that's more UV resistant than pure Endurovar. Not sure if the Helmsman is a catalyzed finish but the Endurovar is so hopefully you'll get a little bit of benefit from that aspect. They are entirely miscible so I'm betting nothing untoward will happen until the sun has it's way. The very best oil spar varnishes can only hold their gloss for a couple of years. They still give some fraction of protection after ten years. I wouldn't expect a waterborne to go much past 1/2 that time line.
Chuck Tweedy

Post by Chuck Tweedy »

the patio cover will have a solid roof, and these sticks are all roof support structure under that solid cover - so i figure its worth the gamble. and they will be 9-10 feet in the air so as long as the finish stays on i'm good.
Chuck Tweedy

Post by Chuck Tweedy »

the finish appears to be fine - BTW.
it looks just the same as the boards finished with just Helsmman, and these have been sitting in the sun during the day since i coated them, and the finish is hard but not cracked.
considering the application, i think i'm totally good to go.

Return to “Glues and Finishes”