Fret saw

Questions about tools and jigs you want to buy/build/modify.
Steve Sawyer

Fret saw

Post by Steve Sawyer »

I’ve been using a LMI fret slotting daw, and don’t care much for it. It doesn’t cut smoothly at all and binds in the cut. Seems I always have to go back and deepen the kerf after radiusing, and used a dozuki this time. Big mistake. Cuts beautifully but the sides of the teeth are sharp and will widen the slot very quickly. Teflon fret dams, ebony dust & CA fixed the fret slots I damaged, so I’m okay at this point, but wondering if there is a better saw out there. Stew Mac offers a dozuki fret slotting saw, but cautions that it should not be used free-hand for the reason I discovered.

If not, I may just try waxing the blade on this LMI saw next time and see if it works any smoother.
==Steve==
Bob Gramann

Re: Fret saw

Post by Bob Gramann »

Try sharpening the fret saw before you use it the next time. Saws from the factory are seldom sharp.
Steve Sawyer

Re: Fret saw

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Bob Gramann wrote:Try sharpening the fret saw before you use it the next time. Saws from the factory are seldom sharp.
Ugh. My saw sharpening skills are atrocious. Almost ruined a saw trying to learn how. Might have to enlist the help of a “galoot” I know.
==Steve==

Return to “Tools and Jigs”