WIDE ABALONE BINDING, when viewed from top

Ask your wood and other materials questions here. Please DO NOT post pictures and ask us to identify your wood, we have found that accurate ID is nearly impossible, and such discussions will be deleted. Thanks.
George Scarlett

WIDE ABALONE BINDING, when viewed from top

Post by George Scarlett »

Hey Mates! Does anyone know where I might find :? 4mm wide (viewed from top) x 6mm deep x 55' long Abalone Celluloid/Plastic/Acrylic/whatever binding material such as what is used on the AR420VLS in the link??? Stewmac sent me here, so I thought I'd ask the "experts"!! Thanx Gb https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... n-sunburst :lol: :D
Christ Kacoyannakis

Re: WIDE ABALONE BINDING, when viewed from top

Post by Christ Kacoyannakis »

I know I bought some a number of years ago, but I wouldn't even hazard a guess as to where I bought it. I just Googled "celluloid abalone binding" and got a bunch of hits. I can't vouch for any of the sellers, so you will just have to take a chance. Usually, when I need something like this I check Allparts, Warmouth, and other places that sell guitarmaking supplies (I don't think Luthier's Mercantile or StewMac would have this, but you could check). One way or another, this is going to be made in China. The environmental regulations regarding celluloid (I don't know if they can achieve the same resulst with plastic, ABS, or acrylic), are far too steep for any manufacturer in most other countries to bother with it. If they are honest about what it is you will also pay a ton for shipping, because it is is considered hazardous and flammable, and they have to do a bunch of paperwork. If they just say guitar binding, then you might not have to pay too much. Good luck!
George Scarlett

Christ Kacoyannakis wrote:I know I bought some a number of years ago, but I wouldn't even hazard a guess as to where I bought it. I just Googled "celluloid abalone binding" and got a bunch of hits. I can't vouch for any of the sellers, so you will just have to take a chance. Usually, when I need something like this I check Allparts, Warmouth, and other places that sell guitarmaking supplies (I don't think Luthier's Mercantile or StewMac would have this, but you could check). One way or another, this is going to be made in China. The environmental regulations regarding celluloid (I don't know if they can achieve the same resulst with plastic, ABS, or acrylic), are far too steep for any manufacturer in most other countries to bother with it. If they are honest about what it is you will also pay a ton for shipping, because it is is considered hazardous and flammable, and they have to do a bunch of paperwork. If they just say guitar binding, then you might not have to pay too much. Good luck!
Yeah, "Aluiexpress" anyone? I get a LOT of stuff from "Guitar Family', at TREMENDOUS savings, as long as you don't mind waiting for up to 2+ months!!!! TAS (There's Always Something"! Gb
Peter Wilcox

Post by Peter Wilcox »

I doubt that the binding in your link uses that size. It's most likely a ~1X3mm strip laid out somewhat like the binding in this link:
http://ultimate-guitar-building.com/how ... -purfling/

I get binding through Amazon - usually takes less than a month from China.
Maybe I can't fix it, but I can fix it so no one can fix it
George Scarlett

Peter Wilcox wrote:I doubt that the binding in your link uses that size. It's most likely a ~1X3mm strip laid out somewhat like the binding in this link:
http://ultimate-guitar-building.com/how ... -purfling/

I get binding through Amazon - usually takes less than a month from China.
Thanx Mate! I'll keep searching. I guess if all else fails, I just might resort to "INLACE" and be done with it!!
George Scarlett

George Scarlett wrote:
Christ Kacoyannakis wrote:I know I bought some a number of years ago, but I wouldn't even hazard a guess as to where I bought it. I just Googled "celluloid abalone binding" and got a bunch of hits. I can't vouch for any of the sellers, so you will just have to take a chance. Usually, when I need something like this I check Allparts, Warmouth, and other places that sell guitarmaking supplies (I don't think Luthier's Mercantile or StewMac would have this, but you could check). One way or another, this is going to be made in China. The environmental regulations regarding celluloid (I don't know if they can achieve the same resulst with plastic, ABS, or acrylic), are far too steep for any manufacturer in most other countries to bother with it. If they are honest about what it is you will also pay a ton for shipping, because it is is considered hazardous and flammable, and they have to do a bunch of paperwork. If they just say guitar binding, then you might not have to pay too much. Good luck!
Yeah, "Aliexpress" anyone? I get a LOT of stuff from "Guitar Family', at TREMENDOUS savings, as long as you don't mind waiting for up to 2+ months!!!! TAS (There's Always Something"! Gb
George Scarlett

George Scarlett wrote:
Yeah, "Aliexpress" anyone? I get a LOT of stuff from "Guitar Family', at TREMENDOUS savings, as long as you don't mind waiting for up to 2+ months!!!! TAS (There's Always Something"! Gb
Alan Carruth

Post by Alan Carruth »

I'm not sure if Rescue Pearl has any that width, but if they have the shell they'll also carry the no-stick strips.

I have made wide no-stick strips myself from polyethylene from cutting boards. It's easy to joint an edge off flat on the joiner, cut off a strip and dress that to the proper thickness with a drill press planer. I'm not sure if you can sand it to thickness.
John Clifford

Post by John Clifford »

Ebay
George Scarlett

John Clifford wrote:Ebay
DUH?

Return to “Wood and Materials Q&A”