Old School

If it's not a guitar or a bass guitar discussion, and it's got strings, put it here.
Dale Penrose

Old School

Post by Dale Penrose »

Was recently asked to build a "old style mountain dulcimer", three strings, hand carved pegs, and staple frets. Twas a fun build, had to learn how to make the frets. Here's a short clip of the new owner with his dulcimer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4uOuN0Ky4M&t=3s
Gordon Bellerose

Re: Old School

Post by Gordon Bellerose »

Very nice! Beautiful black walnut.
Nice tone too!
I need your help. I can't possibly make all the mistakes myself!
Bob Francis

Post by Bob Francis »

Sounds great!
Karl Wicklund

Post by Karl Wicklund »

That’s nice sounding Dulcy-more! Did you bend the staple wire for the frets yourself or did you source some found industrial piece for it? I’ve seen staple frets on a very few instruments and they’ve all been a little different, as I guess befits a folk instrument.

Great work!
Kaptain Karl
Bryan Bear

Post by Bryan Bear »

Very nice!

Dale, are you also in the St. Louis area?
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.
Mark Wybierala

Post by Mark Wybierala »

I've really got to build a dulcimer. It looks like it would be such a wonder instrument to sit and noodle lending itself to sound like you know what you're doing when you really don't -- always open to actually learning for real like I've done with mandolin. I call it faking talent really well. Your dulcimer is beautiful. I appreciate that there is a tradition behind these beautiful instruments.
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Years ago, I started a dulcimer. Every so often, I "find" the bundle of parts, or the plans, and think "I really should finish that".

I really need to put this into the build queue. After the current build. And the bass that's next up. And the re-fret on my Strat...
==Steve==
Dale Penrose

Post by Dale Penrose »

Karl Wicklund, I bent the staples myself out of .042 music wire. Once I got the hang of it, it went quickly.
Bryan Bear, I'm in Webster Groves, we'll have to meet up for a beer someday at Urban Chestnut.
Bryan Bear

Post by Bryan Bear »

Dale, we have a gathering every year at Hibdon Hardwoods. It pretty low key, just a day of showing your work, some demos and hanging out talking about instrument making. We get folks from around the area come in for the day. You should come. I just found your Facebook page, so I know you are on FB. Look for Gateway Area Luthier Assembly.
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.
Mark Wybierala

Post by Mark Wybierala »

Got wood yesterday for dulcimer. Curly maple and Spanish Cedar for soundboard.
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

Hi Dale,
Nice to see you are still building dulcimers. Is the Sweet Music Digest still going? Somewhere in changing computers over the years I lost track of it. John Stockard visited here several years back, but I haven't kept up with the people from the group to know how they are doing.

Return to “Other Stringed Instruments”