Sandpaper adhesive

Questions about tools and jigs you want to buy/build/modify.
Steve Sawyer

Sandpaper adhesive

Post by Steve Sawyer »

What do y’all use to stick sandpaper to radius sanding blocks?

Tried to use CA to adhere masking tape to the back of the sandpaper, but that doesn’t seem to work with this sandpaper. CA doesn’t adhere hardly at all to the backing.
I’m going to try rubber cement, but sometimes that residue is tough to clean off, and wondering if there is something that works better.

Thanks.
==Steve==
Bob Orr

Re: Sandpaper adhesive

Post by Bob Orr »

I use wide double sided sticky tape or buy self adhesive sandpaper.
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Bob Orr wrote:I use wide double sided sticky tape or buy self adhesive sandpaper.
Seems like all the self-adhesive sandpaper I find is in very large rolls, running about $20 apiece, making them pretty expensive if I want to get 3 different grits. I also have a huge supply of sandpaper in cut sheets. Just seemed silly to go buy something else when I've got a cabinet full of the stuff! :)

I'll give some turner's tape a try. I always have that on hand...
==Steve==
Bob Gramann

Post by Bob Gramann »

The 3M Stickit sandpaper isn’t cheap but it works. Once you get the sandpaper attached with contact cement or some other adhesive, then you have to be able to get it off when it’s worn out. At some point the positive value of your time and the negative value of your irritation will make the price of the right stuff not seem so high. The 3M stuff is engineered to go on and to come off when it’s time. Their engineers aren’t perfect, but they do a pretty good job. Why put up with the mess until then? Just go ahead and buy the good stuff.
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

For sticking sandpaper I use the cheap Elmer's spray glue you can find at Walmart. It is not as strong as the 3M products, so it's not as tough to remove. A light mist on one surface only provides enough grip (but not too much) for most applications. You can clean it up with lacquer thinner if necessary. You can let it tack up and it will almost be like PSA paper.
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

I use 3M type 77 spray adhesive.
MIMF Staff
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Bob Gramann wrote:The 3M Stickit sandpaper isn’t cheap but it works.
Wow. It is expensive!!

Called around to a few local places hoping I could find this or something similar in smaller quantities but came up empty.

I should probably invest in an assortment of the 3M stuff, but it won't happen this month! :D

Thanks for the advice!
==Steve==
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Clay Schaeffer wrote:For sticking sandpaper I use the cheap Elmer's spray glue you can find at Walmart.
Thanks, Clay. Might give that a try too...
==Steve==
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

Another spray glue I use for sticking sandpaper is 3M general purpose spray adhesive (45) . It bills itself as "light performance" for photos, crafting and cardstock (low soak in) It seems to be available just about everywhere - Amazon, Walmart, HomeDepot, and probably sewing and craft stores.
The 3M aerosol spray glues I use in order of strength go from 45 (least sticky) to 77 (fairly strong) to 90 ( the best for permanent applications). If I'm gluing soles on boots or some similar application I use weldwood contact cement.
Halgeir Wold

Post by Halgeir Wold »

Double sided carpet tape....
David King

Post by David King »

I get the Norton/Saint-Gobain psa paper in 2.75" x 45 yard rolls off eBay. It's essentially the same paper as their 3x and the level of stickum is almost perfect. I do wax my sanding blocks every 3-4 times I change the paper to prevent the adhesive from migrating onto the block.
Mark Fogleman

Post by Mark Fogleman »

If you want cheap and already have CA google the masking tape superglue double-sided tape trick.
Karl Wicklund

Post by Karl Wicklund »

I’ve used spray adhesive with good results. It was some off brand I can’t recall right now - maybe just repackaged 3M.
Kaptain Karl

Return to “Tools and Jigs”