Curly Burr Oak

Ask your wood and other materials questions here. Please DO NOT post pictures and ask us to identify your wood, we have found that accurate ID is nearly impossible, and such discussions will be deleted. Thanks.
Dale Penrose

Curly Burr Oak

Post by Dale Penrose »

Being primarily a mountain dulcimer builder, I can use woods in my builds that are not the "norm", such as this curly burr oak. I wetted down the board with water to show off grain and color.
Attachments
56317660_10211714923303363_3960054675494928384_n.jpg
Bryan Bear

Re: Curly Burr Oak

Post by Bryan Bear »

That's a nice board. I have some curly burr oak just waiting for the right project. That project will almost certainly be a guitar. I'm not worried that it is not the "norm."
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.
Alan Carruth

Post by Alan Carruth »

Oak is becoming one of my favorite guitar woods. That rift grain should work OK, but I prefer it as close to quarter as I can find it.
Bryan Bear

Post by Bryan Bear »

Alan, if you don't mind (and not to hijack the thread), can you say a little bit more on what makes it one of your favorites? And, are you speaking of Oak in general or specifically the white oaks?
PMoMC

Jim McConkey

Post by Jim McConkey »

I have built and played dulcimers for over 40 years, and the one I built entirely of oak (OK, the fingerboard was walnut), is still my favorite of them all. And that is some beautiful oak you have there. Go for it!

Alan, as Dale said, dulcimers are a lot more forgiving because they are so narrow and carry very little stress. The fretboard is the primary structural element. Flatsawn, Quartersawn, or anything in between can work just fine for the top, back, and sides.
MIMForum Staff - Way North of Baltimore
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Alan Carruth wrote:Oak is becoming one of my favorite guitar woods. That rift grain should work OK, but I prefer it as close to quarter as I can find it.
Have you ever seen ebonized quarter-sawn white oak?

I keep thinking of making a guitar body out of that some day. It would have to be chambered though as white oak is extremely dense. Maybe just a cap, but it sure is striking...
==Steve==
Alan Carruth

Post by Alan Carruth »

Oak is in the density and hardness class of 'rosewood', but usually has higher damping. As with all woods, it varies: in the first 'pair' I made, Classicals in BRW and curly red oak, the oak back was actually denser than the rosewood, and the back ended up heavier with the same resonant modes. It may have made some difference in the sound. The two instruments did not sound the same, and at the time I attributed the differences in the sound to the higher mass and damping of the rosewood back. Now I'm not so sure. I've developed the opinion that damping is not all that important an attribute in the back: I think density counts for far more.

The working properties of quartered oak are quite good. It may be more stable than BRW, and is certainly easier to get in wide and well-quartered pieces. It bends 'like buddah'.

I've used both red and white oak, and don't think there's any particular acoustic or structural difference. White can be fumed with ammonia to get a darker color, which should help sales. I'll note that some folks don't like the look of quartered oak, the large aggregated ray pattern reminds them of old furniture. I happen to like that style of furniture, so it looks god to me, but other folks don't.

Aside from all of that, I'll just say that I've really liked the sound of all of the oak guitars I've made. I'm not the most reliable witness, of course, but I do also get very good feedback from folks on them. I had no trouble selling the last oak guitar I made (a red oak Dread with scalloped bracing: my first Dread in almost forty years), and after I'd sold it got an order for another from somebody who'd seen it at Woodstock. That's a first: in the past I've practically had to give oak guitars away. Better times coming for domestic woods? Let's hope so.
Bryan Bear

Post by Bryan Bear »

Thanks Alan, that was the kind of response I was looking for. I know that there are different camps when it comes to perfectly quartered oak for guitars and that you and I are on different sides <G>. When I bought the curly oak board in my stash I was able to pick through everything from flat to quartered. I ended up getting a board that was more riftsawn. I like those giant rays on furniture but, to my eye, the rays and the curl were too busy for me. Others, I'm sure would have called me crazy. . .
PMoMC

Alan Carruth

Post by Alan Carruth »

I know what you mean about ray and curl together being 'busy'. I've just never worked with rift cut oak, and don't know how stable it is, or how it bends. A student gave me a spectacular plank of curly white oak that is rift on one end and tends more toward quartered at the other, so at some point I'll find out.
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

A sassafras top might pair well with Oak B&S. I've used it for dulcimers in the past, but this is the first time on a guitar. It won't be the last.
Attachments
tunermod17.jpg
Bob Francis

Post by Bob Francis »

That looks great Clay 1
Dale Penrose

Post by Dale Penrose »

Thought I'd show a picture of the dulcimer made from the above board.
Attachments
o1.jpg
o1.jpg (14.63 KiB) Viewed 10712 times
o2.jpg
o2.jpg (14.81 KiB) Viewed 10712 times
Daryl Kosinski

Post by Daryl Kosinski »

Quarter sawn red oak is one of my favorites to work with after ash.
I haven't built instruments with it yet.
Cabinets and furniture is what I make.
Many years ago my brother bought a portable band mill. we as amateur sawmill operators milled up anything we could find.
When we had a red oak on the mill we went for the most quarter sawn as we could get.

My rambling point is, oak is great to work with. You wont find any quarter sawn in Home Depot.

If someone is in upstate New York let me know and I may part with a piece for a instrument.

Return to “Wood and Materials Q&A”