Dust-mageddon!! Dust bag attachment help needed

Questions about tools and jigs you want to buy/build/modify.
Chuck Tweedy

Dust-mageddon!! Dust bag attachment help needed

Post by Chuck Tweedy »

I've replaced my dust bags on my Shop-Fox 1.5HP dust collector.
Prior, I had the standard canvas bags. I've got a 2.5 micron top bag and a plastic lower bag on now.

The original bag retaining strap is not keeping my bottom bag on.
I've added weatherstripping around the "barrel" so the strap fits snug over the bag, but its unstable, and it popped of just now making a gawd-awful dust mess.

How do you guys retain the slippery plastic bag onto the lower side of the dust collector?
I don't want to tape it in, it will leave so much tape goo after all the time it sits on there.
I could wrap copper wire around the whole thing and synch that down. Maybe above the weatherstripping so it pulls down against that.

let me know if you want pix - but really I'm looking for wisdom here. I'm not the first at this.
Likes to drink Rosewood Juice
Bob Gramann

Re: Dust-mageddon!! Dust bag attachment help needed

Post by Bob Gramann »

At worst case, you could join the longest hose clamps you can get to get the circumference you need. With a nut driver, you can cinch those down pretty tight.
Chuck Tweedy

Post by Chuck Tweedy »

Good idea Bob. I see that from McMaster I could get something for nearly any size.
It's a 19" barrel, so it's a 60" circumference. Pretty long band.

I need to finish some work this weekend, so I think I'll try some wire this evening.
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

Could you slip the old bag over top of the plastic bag?
Chuck Tweedy

Post by Chuck Tweedy »

Clay, the old bag had something like 50lbs of dust in it. It is LONG GONE. It took me 5 years to make all that dust.

BTW - It is currently wired on. I used some 12 AWG copper wire and a crapton of tape to get it all set. Wire is set above some really good neoprene weatherstripping. I think she is good to go.
I do NOT have the energy to test it tonight - if it let's go again I'll be to pissed to sleep :P
Attachments
IMG_3082.JPG
David King

Post by David King »

My Grizzly 1HP came with stainless hose clamps 25 year back, I'm sure they exist. My JDS has a lever action band clamp with a tensioning spring that very quick to adjust and lock. I do have to line the bag openings with 2" packing tape to keep the band from cutting the plastic over time. If you have the room and the incentive I'd recommend a Super Dust Deputy in line to catch the 99% in a handy 17Gal bucket.
Bob Hammond

Post by Bob Hammond »

I bought bungee cord at the hardware store, guesstimated the desired stretch, and then inserted the ends of the bungee cord into a thin-walled brass tube and punched the tube to lock the cord in place. It worked for me.
Bryan Bear

Post by Bryan Bear »

Chuck, is that a metric crapton?
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.
Chuck Tweedy

Post by Chuck Tweedy »

Good morning.
David, it came with adjustable straps that is essentially poly-strapping material (like is used to strap something onto a pallet), with an adjustable, lever clamp, tension springs. What seems like a good clamp. But it was not keeping tension!
I see this morning, that the strap was pulling out of it's crimp on the "rack" piece. See pic. OYE! So that is why it failed and caused my dust-mageddon (which I still need to clean much up from)
Well... i'm sticking with the wire for now. It is holding like a champ.
And, no mr bear, it is an imperial crapton. i think you are well aware that the metric version is a shiton. lets please try to stay on subject - this too serious a business for such immature sidetracks :roll:
Attachments
IMG_3083.JPG
Bill Raymond

Post by Bill Raymond »

...and I believe in the UK it's called a "shiteton".
Bryan Bear

Post by Bryan Bear »

Sorry Chuck, I didn't mean to derail your thread. My tape dispenser is calibrated in buttloads and I was having a hard time finding the correct conversion. I see now that an imperial crapton is 1.0598 buttloads (or .9875 shiteons). I wish we would just swithc to metric here. It would save us googobs (2.103 metric oodles) of time.
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

I use tape to hold the bag on. I can deal with a bit of adhesive residue but using one of the newer low tack/ long term release tapes is probably a better solution.
MIMF Staff
Chuck Tweedy

Post by Chuck Tweedy »

Bill i thought that was spelled shytetonne
Chuck Tweedy

Post by Chuck Tweedy »

Barry, tape sure would be a lot easier than the half-Saturday it took to get this thing stable again - Oye!
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Chuck - I had the same setup at one time. I used plain old duct tape to secure it which prevented leakage, and that kept everything neatly in place while securing the clamping band. Never had any trouble removing the tape, but because I run a jointer and planer (which produces a shyteton of chips :D ), I empty mine several times a year. Sometimes several times a week if I'm working on a large project!

The hose clamp idea is a good one, but I was looking for one of those "universal" pipe clamps that has a large coil of stainless steel with rectangular holes and t-shaped ends with the screw-threads and screw that fit into the holes, allowing you to make a very large pipe clamp of almost any size. I went to every hardware store in the area (about 6 which included 3 big-box stores) and searched online and couldn't find the darn things anywhere. They'd be perfect for this application. If anyone knows where to get them, I'd sure like to know where. Can't believe they just stopped making them.
==Steve==
David King

Post by David King »

Chuck,
If you can pull the plastic band back to where it started and hammer a rivet or two in there to hold it. My metal band has a couple of hollow rivets.
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

David King wrote:Chuck,
If you can pull the plastic band back to where it started and hammer a rivet or two in there to hold it. My metal band has a couple of hollow rivets.
Or replace the strap with steel banding. That's what my old rig came with, not plastic. Any place that uses steel banding to secure stuff to pallets would probably be happy to whack you off a few feet. Also available by the (crap)ton salvaged from the places that cut the stuff off of incoming loads...
==Steve==
Halgeir Wold

Post by Halgeir Wold »

Well, - you guys in particular should know that a crapton is 2000 lbs, whereas a shitton - or shytetonne for those who prefer - is 2240 lbs or 1000kg.... :lol:
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

You could use a ratcheting tie down. If the hooks get in the way you could remove them and secure the long strap where the short strap secured on the ratchet. That would turn it into a band clamp (which is another possibility).

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-1-1-4- ... /206802384
Chuck Tweedy

Post by Chuck Tweedy »

Clay, that is a damn fine idea! With the wide weatherstripping I have on there, a wide web band clamp would be perfect!!
as long as i could get the buckle part to seal on the bag it would be great.

Return to “Tools and Jigs”