Shielding guitar pickup cavities

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Christ Kacoyannakis

Shielding guitar pickup cavities

Post by Christ Kacoyannakis »

If I am making a guitar with a set neck with two humbucker pickups, does it make any sense to shield the pickup cavities and control cavity with copper tape? I have never seen similar guitars made by corporations shielded, but that doesn't mean it would be a bad idea. But, I don't know if it would be a good idea either. Is it going to make a difference, since the pickups are humbuckers and grounded? I have the tape, and I was planning on doing it, but now, I don't know if it is worth the time or the tape to do it. Thanks folks.
Peter Wilcox

Re: Shielding guitar pickup cavities

Post by Peter Wilcox »

I would guess, if you're not going to split the coils, that it won't make any significant difference. I don't shield them.
Maybe I can't fix it, but I can fix it so no one can fix it
Gordon Bellerose

Post by Gordon Bellerose »

I shield every guitar I make.
I also wire the humbuckers for coil splitting, so it helps with the single coil hiss, hum, noise.

I have considered not shielding if I'm going to simply use 2 humbuckers, but if the owner would like to coil tap later, it's already done.
It takes less than an hour to do a guitar with 2 pickup cavities and a control cavity.
I need your help. I can't possibly make all the mistakes myself!
Bob Gramann

Post by Bob Gramann »

I have used the black conductive shielding paint. It goes on pretty quickly and it is effective. Or, you could take it apart later and shield then if you have problems. Either way, if you don’t have shielded cable throughout in your wiring, make sure you twist your pairs all along their length.

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”