Odorless mineral spirits as lubricant for French Polish

TEST ON SCRAP FIRST! If your question is about repair work, either regluing or refinishing, please post it in our Repair Section.
Barry Daniels

Re: Odorless mineral spirits as lubricant for French Polish

Post by Barry Daniels »

I've often wondered how they make it odorless. Regular mineral spirits is very stinky but this stuff has none of it.
MIMF Staff
Mario Proulx

Post by Mario Proulx »

Naphtha is pretty much oderless.

The question here is, what have they done to the naphtha to make it "hydrotreated"...
Chuck Tweedy

Post by Chuck Tweedy »

I'm not an expert in hydrocarbon chemistry by any means, but it appears there are special treatments for these "oils" that remove the benzene compounds, and sulfur compounds. I know that benzene compounds smell (original root of "aromatic" compounds). It looks like (from the almighty web) that "Hydrotreatment" is a process to clean-up diesel and heating oil. I'll bet that is what they do to this stuff to reduce the smell and the volatility.
Likes to drink Rosewood Juice
Bryan Bear

Post by Bryan Bear »

Mario Proulx wrote:Naphtha is pretty much oderless.

The question here is, what have they done to the naphtha to make it "hydrotreated"...
It is interesting that these solvents seem to be a bit different depending on where in the world you are sitting. The naptha I use here in the Midwest certainly has a smell. I would say it is moderately strong smelling, not overpowering by any means but no one would say it is pretty much odorless either. I suspect the odorless mineral spirits sold in California might be different than I would see her too. Maybe not.?.
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.
Chuck Tweedy

Post by Chuck Tweedy »

Bryan, they are different.
For Kleen Strip, the non-CA version has an Amber label and you will see "not for sale in CA" somewhere. The CA version has a bright yellow label.
i assume that the contents are different - not just the label (CA one is likely more expensive and has lower VOC)
Likes to drink Rosewood Juice
Bob Howell

Post by Bob Howell »

I have read over this thread and now realize with all the additives nothing is what it seems to be or once was.

What to use for FP lubricant.
I started off with mineral oil but everyone seems to use something else. An oil that cures like a nut or seed oil would seem best but additives mess up that.

Olive oil is popular but why.

We eat a lot of almond butter here and it comes with oil on top. I pour off some and use it to wipe on bowels. It seems to harden or just drys up.I have been thinking of using it.

I have had problems with not getting all the mineral oil off so thought a polimerizing oil would be a good choice. Even boiled linseed oil would seem to work.
Bill Raymond

Post by Bill Raymond »

Never thought of rubbing almond oil on my bowels!!
Bryan Bear

Post by Bryan Bear »

Bill Raymond wrote:Never thought of rubbing almond oil on my bowels!!
Desperate times call for Desperate measures. <G>
PMoMC

Randy Roberts

Post by Randy Roberts »

Wow Bob...one of the best typos we've had around here in quite a while. Let me suggest a beard and dark glasses.

Chuck,
Want to add my " great to see you here again" to all the others. Good to see you building again.
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

"Wow Bob...one of the best typos we've had around here in quite a while. Let me suggest a beard and dark glasses."

Considering that it was in regard to using it as a lubricant the imagery it brings up is twice as bad. :roll:
Gotta love that auto correct: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/2 ... 91880.html
Last edited by Clay Schaeffer on Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bryan Bear

Post by Bryan Bear »

<Looks around for a "whap.">
PMoMC

Bob Howell

Post by Bob Howell »

Well, at least I don't think I offended any group. Potty humor is still safe. Have two young grandkids and live with it daily. There is no stopping it and we will just have to adjust.

Now about oils; how do you choose one?
Fred Battershell

Post by Fred Battershell »

Hey Chuck! Does "Midnight Lutherie" ring a bell? Good to see most of the old gang on here tonight.

Return to “Glues and Finishes”