Brite-Tone water base lacquer

TEST ON SCRAP FIRST! If your question is about repair work, either regluing or refinishing, please post it in our Repair Section.
Alan Bates

Brite-Tone water base lacquer

Post by Alan Bates »

Anyone out there have any experience with Brite-Tone water base lacquer?
Thanks
David King

Re: Brite-Tone water base lacquer

Post by David King »

Not seeing anything that corresponds to this product.. Where did you see it?
Alan Bates

Post by Alan Bates »

I found this product while doing some online research into water base lacquers. It sounds good and wondered if anyone had used it.
http://www.crystalac.info/musical-instruments.html
David King

Post by David King »

That's a pretty slim shell of a website. There is a phone number and a contact name. I'd just call them and ask for a sample. It would probably help if you lived near their corporate headquarters in North Mountain City, TN.

Meanwhile we have some pretty good and widely available WB finishes you might want to try first. None of them are perfect but they are definitely getting better all the time. My current favorite is General Finishes Enduro-var
https://generalfinishes.com/professiona ... P8gSSnlNaA

I see they have just come out with a 2 part conversion (catalyzed) varnish that's supposed to be their toughest yet.
https://generalfinishes.com/professiona ... P8grinlNaA
Jim Bonnell

Post by Jim Bonnell »

I have tried water borne lacquers both KTM 9 and Target EM 6000 and just finished my first guitar using General Finishes Enduro and like it much better than the other two. Much clearer finish without that bluish tint I got with the others.
David King

Post by David King »

Jim,

Did you have any traces of witness lines with Enduro-var? People always ask me that and I don't see them but I don't do flat top acoustics and I'm probably not leveling as aggressively as some. So many seem to love the EM6000 for it's burn in abilities. I tried the EM9000 and the clarity was nothing to brag about, it's still too soft for a guitar finish and did terribly in sunlight. The Enduro-var just looks so much better from the get go though it doesn't look anything like an oil varnish in spite of the claims. I've been testing it on my fir floors and so far it's been excellent. It brushes out really nicely and sands better than any finish I've used before.

Once it links up it seems pretty immune to alcohol and even has some resistance to acetone which to me is a sign of a superior product.
Ron Belanger

Post by Ron Belanger »

I have begun using it and so far have sprayed a couple of test boards and one instrument. I like it so far. clear and hard and polishes and buffs to a high gloss. No blue tone. It uses fewer coats than KTM9 or SV and is ready to level sand and buff in 4 days.
I get mine here -- http://www.woodessence.com/Brite-Tone-I ... 7C117.aspx
Alan Bates

Post by Alan Bates »

Ron Belanger wrote:I have begun using it and so far have sprayed a couple of test boards and one instrument. I like it so far. clear and hard and polishes and buffs to a high gloss. No blue tone. It uses fewer coats than KTM9 or SV and is ready to level sand and buff in 4 days.
I get mine here -- http://www.woodessence.com/Brite-Tone-I ... 7C117.aspx
Thanks, Ron. The test pieces that I have tried it on look good. Probably will be brushing it on as I don't have experience with spraying. What size tip did you spray with? And, yes, I got it from Wood Essence. Curious that I don't see it listed anywhere in the US where it comes from.
Ron Belanger

Post by Ron Belanger »

I am using a Walcom STM with a 1.2 tip. It's the older version of the EGO offered at Wood Essence. I've used it for 3 or 4 instruments and like it so far. I don't know about US distributors, but I live in Canada so it works for me.
Gordon Bellerose

Post by Gordon Bellerose »

I'm in the middle of deciding which finish to try next, so this discussion came at the right time, even if it is a bit older.
I have been using Target - EM6000, and I like the way it lays on, finishes, and in general looks.
I do not like the blue tinge, and have been adding a bit of amber to counter that.

The Brite-Tone is now available at Wood Essence, and I had not heard anything about it, probably because of the non-availability in the US ???
It is pricy for sure, but if it truly uses less, maybe it's worth it. With the Canadian dollar being so low against the US dollar, it pays to shop Canadian whenever possible.
I need your help. I can't possibly make all the mistakes myself!
Jason Rodgers

Post by Jason Rodgers »

Any updates on the use of Brite Tone? Looks like it is about the same price as the General High Performance and EnduroVar ($45-$50 per quart). I like the idea of more solids giving a quicker build with fewer coats. Anybody used both the General and CrystaLac products for a comparison?
-Ruining perfectly good wood, one day at a time.
Brian Evans

Post by Brian Evans »

I used it on my last guitar, I thought it was great. I am going to try the Lee Valley Emtech EM6000, I think - costs about half, and available in a city I visit regularly. http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.a ... ,190,42942
Gordon Bellerose

Brite Tone is a great product. Dries water clear, no blue tinge like EM-6000.
I use less coats. Buffs really nicely also.
Mario Proulx

Post by Mario Proulx »

What are y'all applying the BriteTone over? Shellac?
Gordon Bellerose

Mario. I have used it over shellac, and epoxy with equal results.
Brian Evans

Post by Brian Evans »

The Brite Tone instructions say to use it over their products, or wood. They have a compatible sealer and grain fill system. But they do say you can use it over fully cured and scuffed finishes also. http://www.crystalac.info/brite-tone-in ... inish.html Crystalac is the manufacturer, Woodessence is a distributor. They don't like to ship in winter because it freezes.

Return to “Glues and Finishes”