About to make an 8 string Laminated Bamboo neck w/fanned frets or Firewood...

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Jimmy Lee

About to make an 8 string Laminated Bamboo neck w/fanned frets or Firewood...

Post by Jimmy Lee »

I'm about to embark on a very ambitious project for me. My plan is to make a fanned fret 8 string guitar and I have a few questions for anyone that has dealt with something like this.

I have read a few different theories about the best way to lay out the fret slots including some software that can make a printable 1:1 scale diagram. My scales are likely to start around 28.5" to 25". What method have you guys used and what kind of measuring tools do you like for checking the slot locations?.

I'm planning to use pre laminated Bamboo lumber and a non adjustable steel bar type truss rod (should weight about a ton when finished). What kind of provisions should be made for neck relief?.
Steve Ezzo

Re: About to make an 8 string Laminated Bamboo neck w/fanned frets or Firewood...

Post by Steve Ezzo »

Here is one way to layout a fanned fret fingerboard. Stewart MacDonald (stewmac.com) has a fret board calculator. Plug in your scales for each side of your fretboard. Pick a fret to be perpendicular (90 degree angle) to the edge of the fretboard. Most of the fanned fret guitars I've made used the 8th fret. Use the perpendicular fret as a starting point and measure up and down from your starting point on each side of the fingerboard. I find it easier to create and work with my scale lengths in millimeters rather than inches. I use a precision ruler, a magnifying glass and a Xacto knife to make marks on both sides of the finger board. Once you have marks on both sides, use a small straightedge and connect the marks using the Xacto knife. I then use a razor knife to deepen and widen the original marks and finally use a fret saw to cut the fret slots by hand. One thing to keep in mind is that if you layout your scale markings to the outside edge of your tapered fingerboard, your effective scale lengths will be shorter than you desired. For example to have a true 25" scale for your high e string, you must make the marks for your 25" scale at the location underneath the high e string, not at the fretboard edge. Also the standard advice for measuring fret layout is to measure each fret distance as a separate entity (start from zero for each fret measurement). That way any measuring errors are not compounded. I hope this helps!
Greg Robinson

Re: About to make an 8 string Laminated Bamboo neck w/fanned frets or Firewood...

Post by Greg Robinson »

Hi Coppa,
Please note that we require the use of real full (first and last) names on this forum, and do not accept aliases or "handles". Please let us know your name so we can update your registration.

Thanks.
MIMForum staff member - Melbourne, Australia
Jimmy Lee

Post by Jimmy Lee »

Greg Robinson wrote:Hi Coppa,
Please note that we require the use of real full (first and last) names on this forum, and do not accept aliases or "handles". Please let us know your name so we can update your registration.

Thanks.
Sorry about that. I'm Jimmy Lee. I can't seem to find the place to change my name in user settings.
Mark Swanson

Post by Mark Swanson »

Thanks, Jimmy. I took care of that for you.
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
Louie Atienza

Post by Louie Atienza »

What Steve said, same way I did mine...

Jimmy Lee?
Jens Moller

Post by Jens Moller »

Where did you find your source of bamboo?

I was considering using 1/8 inch veneer that I could bend the end pieces (12 degrees) for the headstock, and then stack to get the 3/4 to 1 inch thickness. The veneer is available in 4 foot by 8 foot sheets, but its not really stocked anywhere locally - most suppliers stock bamboo flooring, and what I have seen is not neck worthy.

I'm concerned about the weight with all of the glue I would require.

I am near Denver Colorado.
dave cronce

Post by dave cronce »

Having made a fanned fret 8-string guitar, I would suggest just making one first, and then worry about the bamboo neck part later. You will have your hands full.
Jens Moller

Post by Jens Moller »

I was only looking to find the Bamboo and not making a fanned fret guitar.

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”