Ebony neck? Wha?

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Doug Shaker

Ebony neck? Wha?

Post by Doug Shaker »

I have, in my carefully curated Pile O'Lutherie Wood (POLW), an ebony neck blank.

I'm kind of puzzling over the idea of an ebony neck blank. Although I am sure it
would LOOK slick, it would also be pretty darned heavy and subject to problems from
expansion and contraction.

Does anyone want to rise to the defense of African ebony as a neck wood? Or should
I mill it up for bridges or fretboards?
-Doug Shaker
Bryan Bear

Re: Ebony neck? Wha?

Post by Bryan Bear »

Hmm. It would probably be pretty cool but, as you say, have a number of potential problems. I'd be too afraid to use it for a neck, not only because of those problems but mostly because of the fear that I would end up wishing I had used it for something else.

What would be other common uses for a billet of ebony? Before I cut it up for frretboards, I'd like to know if it had a value to some other craft in billet form. You may be able to sell it and put the money towards even more fretboards (and not have to shoulder the risks associated with milling it up).
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.
Dave Weir

Post by Dave Weir »

If it was big enough (I like blanks that are 1.25x3.5x28") i'd use it. Otherwise you'll never know...
Mark Swanson

Post by Mark Swanson »

I would use it for fretboards. It isn't that stable and it would move if used for a neck, if you ask me. And it's heavy. There are better woods for necks, and you never have enough ebony for fretboards!
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
David King

Post by David King »

I'm with Mark here, last thing we need is for every guitar nut to decide they need an ebony neck.
Alan Carruth

Post by Alan Carruth »

Could it be a blank for a bass or 'cello fingerboard? What are the dimensions?
Craig Bumgarner

Post by Craig Bumgarner »

In the final days of the Henri Selmer guitars, they made a few with rosewood neck shafts. Selmer fans know about these and there is an oh-wow, ROSEWOOD neck thing about them. I played one 4-5 years ago, however and was not impressed. Who knows if the neck is to blame but the sound was thin and without much life. I had the feeling the notes were dying on the neck. It made an impression on me and I have favored light weight necks ever since.
Doug Shaker

Post by Doug Shaker »

Alan Carruth wrote:Could it be a blank for a bass or 'cello fingerboard? What are the dimensions?
I will measure when I get back home. Yes, it could be a blank for cello fingerboard.
-Doug Shaker

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”