Sycamore

Ask your wood and other materials questions here. Please DO NOT post pictures and ask us to identify your wood, we have found that accurate ID is nearly impossible, and such discussions will be deleted. Thanks.
Dale Penrose

Sycamore

Post by Dale Penrose »

I recently bought a sycamore board, quartersawn, looks nice. Having never worked with this wood before, does anyone have tips, experience with it?
Bob Gramann

Re: Sycamore

Post by Bob Gramann »

It's beautiful and the guitars I have built with it sound a lot better than you would expect from tapping on the wood. I find that getting the surface smooth for finishing is difficult--the beautiful grain pattern is alternately soft and hard and leaves pits that need to be filled during the finishing process. Also, the wood expands and contracts with moisture a bit more than some of the standard woods. That makes less of a difference in a small guitar than a large one where a humid spell can make some strange action changes. Overall, you will enjoy it. And, it can make some striking binding.
Dale Penrose

Post by Dale Penrose »

Didn't think of using it for binding. Will be resawing it later this week, so by spring, should be ready to try.
Joel Nowland

Post by Joel Nowland »

A great wood for many uses. bends super easy. I have used it for back & sides, necks, bridge plates, side bracing, linings, cross-grain patches for side sound holes and where electronics are side mounted.

A great wood when you need light and tough.

Return to “Wood and Materials Q&A”