Nick von Robison and Deb Suran came up with the idea for a web-based forum for instrument makers back in the fall of 1996. The mimf.com domain name was registered on February 13th, 1997 and the forum opened on July 5th of that year. This was back when the web was starting to become commercialized. Dial-up modems were common (14.4kbaud was "fast"), digital cameras were *not* common. You can see some of the early posts in our library for comparison.
Deb continued to run the forum until 2012, when yours truly took the reins. At that time we switched from the old WebCrossing forum software to the current phpbb-based software. The upside was that we got newer software with no support fees, the downside was that we could not transfer over account passwords (thus everyone had to re-register).
Over the years, members have contributed a number of instrument drawings which we offer for sale, see the list here: MIMF plans
Some of the on-line building classes we've run:
- Archtop guitar (this class got several builders started who turned pro)
- English flute
- New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina in 2005 Hurricane Katrina Volunteer Work
- Helping Clint and Alicia Searcy after the Cumberland River flood in 2010 Nashville Volunteer Work
- Southeast Asian tsunami donations
- all past and present contributors of knowledge and money
- those who purchase from Amazon, Rockler and Woodcraft through our links.
- those who have done instrument plans for us
- all past and present moderators
- all past and present sponsors