What is this thing called?

What is this thing called?

Postby Mark James » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:05 pm

What is this thing called?

I think it's a musical instrument of some sort, but I've never seen one before.
It's sorta' like a tambourine, but with metal rings that make noise.
About 18" in diameter, with see-through plastic on one side,
and one padded area on the perimeter that is for holding it (I think).
I literally found it in the street, in it's convenient carrying case.



Mark James
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:28 am

Re: What is this thing called?

Postby Peter Wilcox » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:02 pm

daf or qaval
http://www.iran-daily.com/content/imgca ... 50_365.jpg

"The daf is a frame drum, also called qaval, that is widely used in Azerbaijani folk music as well as in the classical mugham. Fish, goat skin, or nowadays plastic provides the playing surface. Jingling metal rings are sometimes attached to the inside of the frame."
There's an audio sample on the page - doesn't sound like a steep learning curve.
http://www.folkways.si.edu/magazine-spr ... mithsonian

"A daf is a large-sized tambourine used to accompany both popular and classical music in Iran, Azerbaijan, Turkey (where it is called tef), Uzbekistan (where it's called childirma), India (where it is known as the Dafli) and Turkmenistan. Daf typically indicates the beat and tempo of the music being played, thus acts like the conductor in the monophonic oriental music. The Persian poet Rudaki, who widely used names of the musical instruments in his poems, mentions the daf and the tambourine (taboorak) in a Ruba'i:

A common use of tambourine (Daf) is by Albanians. They are often played by women and bridesmaids in wedding cases to lead the ceremony when bride walks down the aisle."
Maybe I can't fix it, but I can fix it so no one can fix it
User avatar
Peter Wilcox
Posts: 1087
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:31 am
Location: Northeastern California

Re: What is this thing called?

Postby Eric Knapp » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:12 pm

Here's one of my favorite things I've heard from a Daf. Combinging a very old instrument with one of the newest has a fascinating result. I play the Chapman Stick and this guy is well known in the community and is really good.


User avatar
Eric Knapp
Posts: 428
Joined: Mon May 02, 2016 2:01 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA

Re: What is this thing called?

Postby Mark James » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:34 pm

Wow. Very cool.
Thanks for the great information, people.
Much appreciated.
Mark James
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:28 am

Return to Wind, Percussion, and Miscellaneous and Experimental Instruments

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Your purchase from these sites helps support the MIMForum, but only if you start at the links below!!!
Amazon music     Amazon books     Amazon tools     Rockler tools     Office Depot    

The MIMF is a member-supported forum, please consider supporting us with a donation, thanks!
 • Book store • Tool store • Links •