1965/66 Gibson B25-12 trapeze tailpiece

If you have a string instrument of any kind that needs fixing, a mistake you made in building a new instrument that you need to "disappear," or a question about the ethics of altering an older instrument, ask here. Please note that it will be much easier for us to help you decide on the best repair method if you post some pictures of the problem.
Jeff Jones

1965/66 Gibson B25-12 trapeze tailpiece

Post by Jeff Jones »

Hello,
I had this posted in another forum but thought i should post it here in the repair forum.
I have a broken trap tailpiece to an old Gibson acoustic 12-string (pretty sure it is a B25-12N) and the aftermarket parts available (AllParts etc.) do not have the same hole pattern for attaching it to the end of the guitar. Both the endpiece and the rod broke. I may have to give up and drill new holes just so i can play it again. I have searched relentlessly on many Internet sites with no real luck. I am wondering if there is any possibility that someone makes a replica. Any advice :?: Picture posted
Thanks a bunch!
Jeff
Attachments
the broken area is at the other side where it hold to the trap
the broken area is at the other side where it hold to the trap
Bob Orr

Re: 1965/66 Gibson B25-12 trapeze tailpiece

Post by Bob Orr »

Could you get someone to braze or weld the old one back together again?

Bob
Rodger Knox

Post by Rodger Knox »

Check and see if there's bridgepin holes that have been filled. I have a B-25-12, and it originally had a pinned bridge. A previous owner had filled the pin holes with putty and added a trapeze tailpiece, which was a common modification. When the trapeze broke, I cleaned out the holes and went back to a pinned bridge.
A man hears what he wants to hear, and disreguards the rest. Paul Simon
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

What Rodger said!
MIMF Staff
Jeff Jones

Post by Jeff Jones »

oh wow, i will check that out when i get home guys. Thanks!
a weld job is a good suggestion too. I appreciate it
Jeff
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Jeff Jones wrote:oh wow, i will check that out when i get home guys. Thanks!
a weld job is a good suggestion too. I appreciate it
Jeff
Find someone who does TIG welding. Should be an easy job if they know their stuff...
==Steve==
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

I would suggest having the parts "brazed" instead of welded. Brazing is like soldering on steroids. And it will be much smoother.
MIMF Staff
David King

Post by David King »

"Silver soldering" will also work with the right solder and less chance of deforming or melting the parts which may be nickel silver as opposed to steel (a magnet will tell you that).
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

I may be wrong, but I consider silver soldering as a form of brazing. But either way, silver solder and brazing work on non-ferric metals and they leave a smooth surface, neither of which is typical of welding.
MIMF Staff
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

My TIG instructor showed how he could TIG-weld two razorblades together - pretty impressive. I'm pretty sure a good TIG welder could do as good a job as any other approach. Also, TIG welding can be very similar to brazing in that it will join dissimilar materials (e.g. phosphor bronze filler rod and whatever metal the tailpiece is made from).

It's just a matter of what resources you have access to in your area. Brazing, silver soldering, TIG welding - even laser welding - could all do the trick. In all cases you need someone who knows their stuff to do this kind of repair.
==Steve==
Jeff Jones

Post by Jeff Jones »

Thanks everyone, no bridgepins so looking for the repair
Jeff
David King

Post by David King »

Post a photo of the broken ends so we can better advise you on a course of action. You can buy a small sheet of 18GA half hard brass on eBay or from McMaster Carr. It can be cut with tin snips or even scissors and/or a jeweler's saw to replicate what you had. I'd make it one-piece and skip the hinge altogether.
Joshua Levin-Epstein

Post by Joshua Levin-Epstein »

OK, say you exhaust the repair avenues and your only option is to use the new Allparts tailpiece. How about a piece of wood shaped like the hanger. You screw this to the guitar using the original holes and screw the new tailpiece to the piece of wood.

Or drill new holes.
Joshua Levin-Epstein

Or, would you be able to open up the mounting holes on the new tailpiece into slots that would allow you to use the original mounting holes?
Jeff Jones

Post by Jeff Jones »

Thanks everyone. Not sure yet, i like the option of fabricating something that will fit without drilling new holes and looking for a better part in the future
Jeff
Mark Fogleman

Post by Mark Fogleman »

There is a fellow named John Lambdin from Van Nuys, CA who makes repro archtop tailpieces. I have no contact details or website to send your way. He posted an introduction on the Frets forum http://fretsnet.ning.com/forum/topics/e ... tailpieces last week so that would be the best way unless you can find him with a Google search.
Joshua Levin-Epstein

That post under John Lambdin's name indicates that he has passed away.
David King

Post by David King »

Most of the archtop makers I know make their own or have someone make their tailpieces. A good repair shop should be equipped to do this as well.
Michael Jennings

Post by Michael Jennings »

The tailpiece [Frequensator"] for my 1946 Epiphone Broadway was "broken" at the 90* bend from side to top when I got it. Sent it off to "Archtops.com" in Seattle for braising repair…. not inexpensive but great quality work.

Return to “String Instrument Repair: Practical and Political Issues”